Critique my first FPE design job?

Beefy

Hey all,

I am planning to re-case my Buffalo DAC using a 2U 300mm deep Pesante case from the HiFi2000 case group buy that is going on. For this case I was going to get some custom panels made from Front Panel Express or Cam Expert. Being my first set of custom panels, I am opening my designs up to any and all criticism for the cosmetic aspects...... and if anybody is really bored and has the time, some super-quick checks that I haven't borked any measurements (particularly for the mounting holes) would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, what the design is going to entail...... I will be buying the SPDIF Mux from Twisted Pear. This includes a 4 position switch detailed here under SR2511F, with 30 degrees rotation between positions. 'Hard' power on/off will be through a Schaffner FN282 IEC inlet module, and 'soft' power on/off will be controlled by an E24. The switch will be a Bulgin double-LED switch which changes colour when the MUX has SPDIF lock. All input and output connectors on the back will be Neutrik, outputs will be both RCA and XLR. The TOSLINK input hole is sized for the Twisted Pear module.

For the mounting holes, I have used a dodgy free DWG/DXF viewer to measure the correct distances and sizes, but I'm not confident. For the back panel I measure that the holes are 43mm (height) and 420mm (width) apart, whereas the front panel holes are 57mm (height) apart. If somebody could check at least these dimensions, it would be very helpful. Also, does anybody know 100% for sure what size screws I would need for the HiFi2000 front and back panels? I measure them as 4mm holes, but confirmation would be great.

I want the whole thing to be subtle. Panels and the selector knob will be clear anodised aluminium, the power switch stainless steel. All engraving has no colour in-fill, and I quite like the FPE default 'technical' font for the inputs/outputs/power/selector switch. However, I think that the 'Buffalo DAC' text could be significantly improved...... though I'm not quite sure what I really want to have there, and how to make it look better while keeping it subtle.

So have at it, folks - any and all constructive commentary is welcome. The panel files and DXF for the Pesante case are in the zip file, the PDFs have the sizes for all the other bits'n'pieces if you are interested.

Cheers! :)

Our good man Nate was kind enough to dimension the DWG file for me, so all of that is now confirmed good....... but some thoughts on the cosmetic aspects of the panels would still be appreciated.

I have made PDFs of the design files to open the critique up to everyone and sundry, rather than just the techies who have Front Panel Designer installed. The only commentary I might add is for the front panel; the engraved circle around the cutout for the selector knob isn't going to be engraved at all, but is there just to show how big a 30mm knob is in relation to the rest of the panel.

Thanks all! :)

I like it. Clean and simple. Personally, I might choose to have the central name script in all caps, so it looks more balanced.

Modified version attached. Does look a bit better!

But I think that if I was to stick with that, I would need to move the selector switch and associated about 10mm to the right, just to 'balance' it out again....?

[EDIT] And now added as Hopstretch 2. 10mm movement was about spot on.

Why is the power button not centered top to bottom? It looks awkward where it is. Also, does it need to say "power"? Are you going to forget what it does?

It appears that the power button and its label are treated as a unit that is centered from top to bottom. I agree that it would look better if the button were centered. I don't care whether there is a power label or not.

It appears that the power button and its label are treated as a unit that is centered from top to bottom. I agree that it would look better if the button were centered. I don't care whether there is a power label or not.

Yes, that is what I had done.

The label is there because the button is a dual LED unit that lights up on power on, and changes colour when SPDIF lock is obtained. Makes a lot more sense for anybody other than me using the DAC.

Another one with the switch now centred. The text originally looked funny being so low, so it was moved closer to the switch to compensate. Overall, I think it is a good compromise.

The selector has been moved to the right from the original...... still tossing up what to do with the central text :confused:

Any interest in making the name much smaller and moving it either to the upper left, or the lower left if the power/lock nomenclature is removed?

If the selector and button can be moved anywhere, I would put the button off to the right, where the selector is now, then move the selector a bit more to the left. Then have the name in small size to the lower left.

It looks pretty decent as it is, of course, but as long as it's just pushing stuff around on the screen, may as well give it a shot.

If the selector and button can be moved anywhere, I would put the button off to the right, where the selector is now, then move the selector a bit more to the left. Then have the name in small size to the lower left.

You mean something like the attached file?

Not sure myself...... based on my internal layout, it adds a lot of distance to the wiring, and I think I prefer the symmetry of the power and selector on either side of centre.

I will play around with moving the label way away from centre though, and using different fonts :)

Well, if we're blue-skying it, how about a silk-screen Jesus riding a velociraptor and trailing a cloud of glory across the faceplate?

Shit, why didn't you suggest this from the start? Could have saved a lot of time not worrying about all of these....... sensible...... suggestions :palm:

:D

Make it tap-dancing on a cracker and I'm sold.

Tapdance.gif

Who has the spare time to make a gif like that :confused:

Something like that, with the selector a littl closer to the right. But as you noted, not being familiar with the internal layout, it may not be feasible. What if it was flopped L/R?

That would require me re-doing the back panel as well. I'm not convinced I like the idea enough to bother ;)

Seriously consider an animated front panel, too.

I'll get right on it!