Bands you are discovering (old or new)

diebenkorn

I'd been getting back into Black Rebel Motorcycle Club after hearing and buying their latest SC (Baby81). Via listening on last.fm to similar, I had run across a few bands that I liked who I will probably be buying cds of...

The Black Angels

The Ravonettes

And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

Shiny Toy Guns

The Warlocks

Girl in a Coma

The Duke Spirit

The Kills

Necks: trio from Austrailia, minimalist jazz. Each CD is one track. Just got Aether and Drive By. These guys are completely new to me, and I'd be really interested in what others might recommend, and/or have heard.

Gomez: been around awhile, but new to me. Listening to How We Operate right now, and I really like these guys. Open to suggestions to other CDs.

TalkTalk: revisiting, starting with Spirit of Eden.

Simple Acoustic Trio: Marcin Wasilewski (piano), Slawomir Kurkicwicz (bass) and Michal Miskiewicz (drums). Knew of some of the players through Tomasz Stanko's CDs and Manu Katch

Gomez: been around awhile, but new to me. Listening to How We Operate right now, and I really like these guys. Open to suggestions to other CDs.

The new one is pretty good.

ldg5314.jpg

Their first release -- from 1998 or so -- is also solid and it's interesting to see how they've evolved.

3410-1.jpg

Great band. They've really captured an eclectic cross-section of music lovers, if the two shows I've been to are any indication.

My favorite by a mile is 2002's "In Our Gun". It's kind of a one-off from the rest of their oeuvre, but it's a solid album with lots of fun noises. Do give it a try.