Need some suggestions...

fatman711

Hey guys,

I'm planning on designing some leather Grado pads but I would like to get some suggestions as to whether people would prefer the pads being more bowl shaped or GS1000 pad shaped.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks

From what I've read, most people think bagel pads only sound good on the GS1000, so it probably wouldn't be profitable for you to make them in leather.

Personally, I want Grado pads that make them sound like Stax. :P

I think leather would ruin the sound, to be honest.

x2, as anyone who has tried normal pleather pads or done the tape mod can say. The Grado needs that porous foam to sound like they do or they become unbearably bassy and muffled sounding. Grado pads are a difficult proposition unless you're prepared for a lot of prototyping.

A "bowl" pad whose height was between the Grado bowls and flats (i.e. squished bowls) would definitely have a market as far as I am concerned, especially if it was nice comfy leather.

X2. I would like to see a bowl pad in this fashion as well.

I would be very interested to see your product if you move forward fatman711. Good luck on the design as well :)

Personally, if I were to attempt it I'd go for a loose weave nylon cloth covered foam circum pad with a leather face stitched on. That way you get the feel of leather on your face while keeping the porosity of the foam which should keep the sound reasonably true.

That'd be my take anyway.

I'm interested, I can't wear the bowl pads for more than 20 minutes.

I would also be interested in R10 and Qualia 010 earpads. They're probably the two most expensive replacement earpads and a third-party option would be great.

Qualia pads don't even have any padding inside, they're just pieces of leather made to a shape.