Electrostat Battle Royale

grawk

The 4070 is a monitor so it has some similarities with the SR-X lineup, slight forward tilt, glorious midrange and a bit light on the bass bloom even if it extends very deep. They are an amazing design since the only indication of their closed nature is a slight thickening of the upper midrange. Comfort is an issues though since they are massive (650gr :o) and get very hot around the ears after a while, even up here in the frozen north. The earliest examples didn't travel freely on the hinges so they won't fit everybody but Stax fixed that back in 2002.

The 4070 lets you pretend you're an Analog to Digital device receiving a monitor feed. Don't ask me where the Digital signal is output. :)

I like this meet title.

I used to own a HeadAmp KGSS and got an adapter for the HE90 to plug into the Stax port. After hearing the HE90 with an Aristaeus, I didn't want to use the adapter and KGSS anymore.

So what do the 4070s bring to the table over the O2s?
The biggest difference is isolation. I can't stress this enough, people don't realize how much that changes the entire listening experience, even were the rest of the room entirely quiet (which it weren't). It is the equivalent of making the background blacker. Dogs go from barking noisily to just flapping their jowls; cats go from insistently vying for attention to being perfectly content; friends go from whiney airheads to intellectual confidantes. It's really win-win all the way around.

The low-end extension out of the BH was about the same for the O2 and the 4070, the Orpheus had more. It must have been the opposite on the KGSS, based on Chris' take on things.

I should also mention that Hirsch's Orpheus was modified to able to take the Stax bias, you probably shouldn't try that with just any Orpheus. I think. Although I think he did, which is how he found out it couldn't take it. Or something. I'll let him post about that, I don't remember now. Hirsch?

dusty, what's on your shirt?
As was already answered, it is, indeed, the playful kitty-kraken, which seems to have confused a ship full of people with a large ball of yarn. Edited by Dusty Chalk

I should also mention that Hirsch's Orpheus was modified to able to take the Stax bias, you probably shouldn't try that with just any Orpheus. I think. Although I think he did, which is how he found out it couldn't take it. Or something. I'll let him post about that, I don't remember now. Hirsch?

Most of the 2005 units were modified in that way so they work just fine off a Pro bias outlet. Mine certainly did...

I should also mention that Hirsch's Orpheus was modified to able to take the Stax bias, you probably shouldn't try that with just any Orpheus. I think. Although I think he did, which is how he found out it couldn't take it. Or something.

What he was saying yesterday is that Sennheiser forgot to put the spacers between the diaphragm and stators, so while there was a gap present, and it would often work, the diaphragm had a tendency to stick to the stator, which, obviously, isnt good.