Electrostat Battle Royale

grawk

You should write a book, a la Ken Kessler's Quad: The Closest Approach.

Hehe, I couldn't even write a comparison review of all the Lambdas. :palm: After about two pages of technical drivel and history then I had almost nothing to say about the sound... :-[

:eek:

I don't think I've heard that many headphones yet.

I've also had more then one set of nearly every one of those with something like 14 Lambda Signatures, 12 L-Pro's and countless Gamma/SR-X units. :indra: Let's face it... I had a problem. :D

I listened to the GS1/HD800 and KGSS/HE90 combo a fair amount. Differences were minimal at best, which was surprising to me. The sound of both seemed dry and uninspiring to me. I had to strain to hear fine detail on either. During the comparison, I was reasonably happy that I didn't keep the HD800, and I gave some consideration to putting the HE90 on the market if that's the best it could do. Then I listened on the Blue Hawaii, and the HE90 woke out of it's stupor. Phew! I haven't heard an amp yet that could do that with an HD800, but there may be one out there. Note: there were also source/cable/equalizer in signal path (on passthrough) differences, so it's not entirely clear what's responsible for the difference in the HE90 between KGSS and BH rigs. This is the biggest difference I've heard between KGSS and BH rigs so far, but with different everything, I'm not reading a lot into this. Neither amp is tempting me to move from my ES1 (I should have brought that as a baseline, but I was feeling lazy and running late...two of my natural states of being).

4070 was probably my favorite out of KGSS. However, the extremely heavy earcups are a big drawback for me. It didn't feel like a headphone I could use for long sessions. Even so, it might be my favorite sounding headphone of the current Stax lineup. The new version of the Omega 2 sounds like a broken mk.1 to me. I thoroughly dislike the SR-404, but the 4070 delivered a good balanced sound, and sounded to me like a much better implementation of the 404 driver. Maybe dropping the metal cups for some nice wooden ones would help make it usable in the long term...

Sorry about the absence of technical drivel on the Lambda's :P My technical drivel mainly restricted to: It sucks or it doesn't suck.

Edited by hirsch

Can you imagine using the 4070 all day for monitoring duties? :o That's why it was designed in the first place, commissioned by one of the Japanese TV stations.

I should have the review somewhere on the HDD but it's over two years old and I've learned quite a bit since then. :)

• 1 month later...

Now that I've been listening to them for a decent length of time, I'm re-reminded of why I still need to mod them. Whoever thought using some netted metal sheet and some thin foam to secure the drivers to the frame was a good idea was not very smart. I don't know what I'd replace them with, though. I guess I need to finally purchase some bitumen.

What, you're not entranced by the stunning good locks brought forth by the combination of my beautiful face and the mysterious shiny square black helmet I have on my head?

Yeah, being part of Team Sturzhelm ain't easy. I have a T Amp I could use to pull a NeilPeart out on the street... but I'm too lazy for something like that.

A Float made out of wood? How many necks did it break? :P

They never made it into production. The guy worked on the Floats with Jecklin but wanted to market his own set. Some of our German speaking friends got in touch with him and he had a prototype ready but needed capital to turn them into a production unit. That was roughly two years ago and since then there has been no word...

• 2 years later...

Now that I've been listening to them for a decent length of time, I'm re-reminded of why I still need to mod them. Whoever thought using some netted metal sheet and some thin foam to secure the drivers to the frame was a good idea was not very smart. I don't know what I'd replace them with, though. I guess I need to finally purchase some bitumen.

Hi. If you do make a good mod, I m interested in hearing about it. I m a little disappointed in the way they sound. I think they are comfortable though.