Solid-state amp design

seacard

<snip>

With ad2k/qualias/w5k the dynahi stomps all over the gilmore lite and the gilmore v2. The balanced reference however holds its own.

Compared to the lite the dynahi had a much wider soundstage. You'd hear exactly where the soundstage ends with the lite while there seemingly were no limits to the dynahi. If a sound is placed really damn far away, then it would show up there. With the lite it seemed like there was a defined point on the left and right side where sounds will not show up further no matter the recording. The dynahi also had much better mids, was more impactful and had way better bass.

The v2 was about the same as the lite, but had much improved bass and better mids.

The gilmore balanced reference has the same sort of "infinite" soundstaging like the dynahi, but is more laid back. It isn't as punchy as the dynahi.. Everything else is about on par. The dynahi might still have the slight edge on bass and mids, but really it's less certain. It's a toss up which I like better. Need my dynamight and my balanced dynafet asap.

Overall the dynahi seems a little bit faster but that might just be the punchiness.

Thanks for your reply, Icarium. I was looking for information just like this. :)

very dynamic music peaks may be ~25 dB above average levels, 95 dB pk spl from the senns would require < 1 mWrms

if this is truly your listening scenario then you really don't need an amp - at worst just modify your source line out stage with a ccs load of ~4mA and any reasonable quality audio op amp will happily drive your cans with inaudible distortion in Class A

I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to make fine distinctions at such low average listening levels - certainly little recorded music would "sound live" simply due to the Fletcher-Munson loudness effect changing the perceived frequency balance

You do need to keep the level far below most live presentations for extended ”background music” listening of hours a day but I want an amp to drive my cans to near live levels if only for a

very dynamic music peaks may be ~25 dB above average levels, 95 dB pk spl from the senns would require < 1 mWrms

if this is truly your listening scenario then you really don't need an amp - at worst just modify your source line out stage with a ccs load of ~4mA and any reasonable quality audio op amp will happily drive your cans with inaudible distortion in Class A

I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to make fine distinctions at such low average listening levels - certainly little recorded music would "sound live" simply due to the Fletcher-Munson loudness effect changing the perceived frequency balance

You do need to keep the level far below most live presentations for extended