Grado GR8 IEM

Cankin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting. They use the armature design rather than the dyamic variety driver. Too bad, at that price though, they aren't dual or triple driver designs. Then again, the Klipsch Image X10, and even the X5, are outstandingly wonderful sounding canalphones and use a single armature.

What mostly intrigues me, though, are the sleeves. From the images, the sleeves appear to be the more common large nozzle design rather than the refined smaller nozzle type as used by the Shures and Etymotics.

I think part of the charm of grado is that it's a family company still. I would be surprised if they would sell the company to a corporation but who knows. My guess would be that they're updating their line because it's cheep to do and the headphone market is expanding with lots of new gear, changing things up keeps people talking about grado headphones. I bet their worried that they'll be buried by an avalanche of other company's gear.

The only thing I dislike about the Klipsch Image X10s...with regard to my particular set, which could have been resolved with newer sets...is the stiffening of the wires. Mine have been under constant patching due to breaks in the insulation, exposing the conductors.

I still use them, though, and find them to produce amazing and accurate bass response. What really drops my jaw is how much they sound like my 3-way driver Shure SE530s, which are $500 canalphones.

I think part of the charm of grado is that it's a family company still. I would be surprised if they would sell the company to a corporation but who knows. My guess would be that they're updating their line because it's cheep to do and the headphone market is expanding with lots of new gear, changing things up keeps people talking about grado headphones. I bet their worried that they'll be buried by an avalanche of other company's gear.

They certainly have my attention. I've always heard great things about Grado, lending me the impression of high-end audio equipment...serious audiophile stuff. I must say, though, when I first became aware of their IEMs, I had the sensation Grado was merely trying to hitch up to the cash bandwagon...get into the market. Which lead me to think like others are thinking...they might be re-branding some other phones. If Grado indeed is manufacturing these IEMs, word should get out so that they will succeed in marketing them because it's rare that a home company will take such an admirable step.

But, much like the Sleek Audio SA6, these Grados are probably designed...or given influence on their design...by Grado and manufactured in China....or Japan by Foster.

• 3 weeks later...