Symphones "MAGNUM" pre-order and discount

Rhydon

Mine have survived the honeymoon period nicely. I've been alternating between them and the APS-cabled HD-800s depending on my mood. I think it'll take the eXStatA and O2s to ruin things. They are brighter, by the way, than the SR-5NB, but not as sweet as the latter out of the T1S I have here. Damn I miss those Omegas!

The SR-5NB is slightly dark for my tastes, and the O2 is even darker than that, so brighter could be a good thing.

Someone should send me stats so I can compare. :)

That could be doable on my side... also, I hear a certain someone who digs redheads who sing metal will be moving to NYC very soon.;)

That could be doable on my side... also, I hear a certain someone who digs redheads who sing metal will be moving to NYC very soon.;)

Oh shizzle, he told me about this but I didnt know it was finalized! ::dance:

hey jinp6301 how did you find them compared to rs1?

Hey Ivan. (I borrowed the magnums from Ivan). I still like the magnums better. The RS-1 is better for female vocals/small jazz but overall the speed/resolution of the Magnums make them a much better headphone

• 3 weeks later...
Moar info required.:D And I'm still waiting on that Magnum vs. SR-X Pro comparison, eejit.
The fact that I haven't been able to arse myself into hooking up the Illusion ESC-1001 transfo box to the X250.5 in order to even do this comparison should speak towards how good the Magnums are... I do intend to do this but in a way I'm king of avoiding in that I'm worried the SR-X/Pros will lose and I'll kind of want to sell them but not really since they're so rare and I'm weird...........

• 3 months later...

Update: Rhydon came through in the end. The drivers have 3 holes in the back and now have more bass, and a less peaky treble, something akin to how HF-1s sound, but with everything a lot better. Kickass imaging to my ears, better than my 404LE/T1S rig and the HD-800s. Probably quite a bit of that is as much to do with the amps as the headphones themselves. I'm very pleased with them.

Just got home from picking up the Series II MAGNUMs from the post office. With the Series I, I plugged them in in the box and let them break in for a while before I listened to them........ I couldn't resist this time, and...... woah......... waaaaaaaay too much bass! I went straight for a album I loved listening to with the Series Is which is pretty light in the nether regions, and I hate how it sounds on these......... so, off my head to have some techno blasted through them for a while............ will report back........

8-ish hours on them now........... still too much bass............

Slap some bowls on there (or even reverse quarter-modded HD414 pads) and then see what you think?

...or if it already has bowls, you could get GS1K/PS1K jumbo pads. :P

Already have bowls. Traded in Series Is, because I'm an idiot. Rhydon told me to put some hours on them before making a judgement call. Meanwhile I am going to rebuild one of my old Saab engines and run it at 6000rpm for three weeks straight. Then when I still hate the Series IIs, I'll wipe my ass with a handful of Benjamins, then I'll throw the Magnums up for sale for some wacko Senn-loving bass head to pleasure themselves with.

Already have bowls. Traded in Series Is, because I'm an idiot. Rhydon told me to put some hours on them before making a judgement call. Meanwhile I am going to rebuild one of my old Saab engines and run it at 6000rpm for three weeks straight. Then when I still hate the Series IIs, I'll wipe my ass with a handful of Benjamins, then I'll throw the Magnums up for sale for some wacko Senn-loving bass head to pleasure themselves with.

More holes, more pleasure.

You should do this with your Saab engine:

Jesus Christ! Have some patience!

I suspect they will require between 15-20,000 hours to break-in. All the GOOD stuff needs that...

Find a hex key that fits the screws holding the drivers in, pop them out and plug the 3 holes on the plastic behind the diaphragm (not the ones behind the voice coil) with some Blu Tak or whatever it's called there. That may possibly fix the bass issue. I'd hate to think all this latest effort and expense was just for 3 holes.

I have been expecting to run them for a while as Rhydon told me to give them "a few weeks", then after that exercise find I still hate them, then beg for the Series I drivers back. Call me full of shit, but after ~100 hours of stupid-loud techno, they are becoming enjoyable on bass-light recordings. Bass guitars and kick drums are beginning to sound like musical instruments rather than electronic synth-generated shit. Heavier stuff is still unbearable...