Omega 2 vs K1000 shootout

deepak

I brought my Omega 2 setup to my friend's reference system and we did a shootout with the K1000.

Source: Naim CD555 and power supply (we used digital mostly because it is easier than vinyl when doing lots of music changing)

Preamp: modified EAR 864

Power amps: custom built 300B/ECC99 monoblocks, WE300B

Headphone amp: Headamp Blue Hawaii, EH tubes

Cables: Kimber Kable, Crystal Cable, Stealth, don't know exact details

Headphones: AKG K1000 (11xxx sn), Omega 2 MK1 (both stock)

Speakers: Avantgarde Duo 2.1

The Blue Hawaii was run from the loop out of the preamp. The K1000 connected directly to the monoblocks using the extension. These are reference amps and many 300B amps came and went out of his system before he settled on these.

For music we mostly listened to well and not so well recorded post romantic era classical. With a mix of some first Japan pressing jazz discs (CP32 and TOCJ) and first pressing classic rock from Europe and Japan.

The K1000 are owned by my friend, but I've owned them several times and know their sound. He has only heard my Omega 2 on a few occasions.

The most obvious difference that we both noticed between the two was the difference in bass and midrange detail. With regard to the midrange, this is especially evident with the symphonies. And bass becomes even more obvious with all three types of music. The K1000 was obscuring midrange micro detail in many of the symphony pieces that couldn't be heard even if we took the volume past the control level (matched with digital RatShack meter). One very obvious example is the 1959 Bernstein/Mahler/S5 on Sony Classical label- during very loud and dynamic passages a single violin is completely buried in the mix with the K1000. Switching to the Omega 2this softly played violin is heard in the distance.

I suppose picking out these micro details becomes easier with the Omega 2 because the O2 paints a convincing portrait of a concert hall. So a sound played very far away is heard far away and appropriately "muted" (softer). The K1000 has a more difficult time with these complex depth cues and details and on really dynamic passages can tend to have the wall of sound effect. These midrange issues become less obvious with studio recordings, but still present themselves now and then. To test to see if the limitation in midrange detail was due to the K1000 or his amps, we switched to his speakers. All the detail and depth cues were present, though being horn speakers there was a slightly different tonal presentation.

On to bass- the Omega 2 simply has more of it. Far better extension and depth. By depth I mean that you can hear "into" the bass; it has its own space, it sounds real. With the first pressing rock we used, the discs are usually flat transfers (though not always taken from the best tapes) so dynamic range is left intact. I have always been a big fan of his Naim and would probably go as far to say that in a double blind I might not be able to tell the difference between vinyl and CD taken from the same master (where rock music doesn't rely so much on the superior imaging and soundstage of vinyl). Anyway we both agreed the Omega 2 is more seamless in reproducing a drum kit. The K1000 can sound wimpy with kick drums and low bass lines sort of just drop off. Texture on both is fantastic, there isn't much "one note" effect. The Omega 2 even beat out his speakers in bass depth and realism.

With treble- they both extended as far as we could hear. We were hard pressed to find much difference in treble detail. The K1000 can tend to make some cymbal hits a bit splashy, but the O2 does this as well especially on poorly done remasters.

Over all fun time and quite a revealing experience. But the most fun probably came when we switched back to vinyl and cranked his speakers the rest of the evening ;D

Edited by deepak
spelling

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments Deepak, very interesting. I understand well what you're speaking about on the midrange detail, even using the 717 or the SRD7 hooked up to the B22 those details are amazingly well portrayed.

It had been great including the HD800 in such comparison, I guess they'd do better than the K1000 too.

I found the highs rolled on the O2s even with the BH. Did you notice?

Nice impressions. I think stats in general resolve detail better than most dynamics aside from maybe the Qualias (haven't heard HD800). I just couldn't get into the O2s when I was dead set on getting them a couple of years back. I love hearing the technical stuff they offer. I am a fan but just not enough to add to the fold. I guess it's a preference thing. Even with speakers, stats just don't give me the long term pleasure, but technically, they are incredible for sure :). K-1000s just have that magic that works for me. That emotional connection with minimal coloration aaawwww.

We did a shoot out at Neil's house HE-90, K-1000, O2 and the K-1000, O2 were on the same level and depended on preference, but we all agreed the HE-90 was on a level all it's own when dialed in. That being said, the HE-90s had the same long term affect and are not my favorite phones. But technically they are the best phones I've heard.

Glad you had fun, and yes, sitting back with speakers is takes things into a whole new stratosphere.

Hi rob,

The treble and bass is very rolled off with my my transformer box and tube amp (it might have just been my tube amp with stock [read crappy] tubes) with the Omega 2.

It is well extended the BH, I might do some sweeps later, but with music it extends well beyond my hearing limits.

The best way I can describe the BH is a very high bandwidth amp. Otherwise I am not detecting much sound signature that I can put my finger on.

I would agree that the 02 is probably the more technically accurate headphone, however the K1000 just has more characteristics that are pleasing to me.

I enjoy their more forward signature, their more speaker like presentation, and at least in my late production pair, their more tipped upper midrange.

As for bass, I tend to augment my K1000 with an Onix Rocket UFW-10 active subwoofer, and I really like the accurate, visceral bass that setup can achieve. I doubt that kind of 'out of the head' type performance, with bass you can feel as well as hear, would be possible with any supra or circumaural style of headphone.

This is not meant as a screaming endorsement for the K1000 though. I can certainly appreciate the merits of the 02. I'm simply implying that it's somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison. An apples to oranges comparison that was a thoroughly interesting read however, and I expect an even more interesting listening event.

Thanks for the write up Deepak!

I also prefer the O2 over the K1k, for some of the reasons you mentioned. It has better resolution but presents its detail in a very natural and unobtrusive way. It's faster and tends to stay resolved no matter how complex the music gets, whereas the K1k is still a dynamic and begins to lose imaging and definition as the complexity racks up. The O2 also has the edge in bass extension. Its midrange is more fluid than the K1k generally, and I think it handles transients better. But the K1k does have better macrodynamics which together with the slightly overemphasized treble (to my ears) make it sound very exciting on some material. The O2 also has better imaging but the K1000 does have that massively wide and wide-open soundstage with natural crossfeed. Both headphones have very good impact and slam though I've never heard the O2 off the BH or the K1k off a truly monstrous amp. I do find the K1k to sound slightly more artificial and give you lots of initial "wow" factor, whereas the O2 is decidedly unimpressive on first listen with material that isn't impressively recorded to begin with, though it can sound impressive with the right source material and system. But over time flaws begin to be evident with the K1k which the O2 simply doesn't have, and it betters the K1k in more areas than the K1k betters it.

I don't find the O2's treble to be rolled-off in any way with the 717, but it was somewhat rolled-off with the SRD-7 Pro/Dared combo. However I also find the K1k's treble to be overemphasized slightly, and most headphones overdo the treble to my ears so I may just like a darker sound. However the O2 does not sound nearly as dark as the HD650 or even HD600 in my rig, and it was downright too bright with the 840c as source.

Would be nice to get my mitts on the BH but that will have to wait. I do like some tube color in there though so the WES may also be a good choice.

Nice write-up, it would be interesting how an O2 would do on lesser amps.

I get the same impressions as Deepak when running my K1000 off my EC ZDT and my O2 Mk1 off my GES - I think the O2 on my GES are simply better in many ways than the K1000 with my best dynamic amp.

As an FYI - I traded my first pair of O2 Mk1 for my K1000, but then ended up buying Naamanf's O2 Mk1 after I discovered the K1000 are harder to match with the right amp than the O2 have been. My new ZDT does a better job driving the K1000 than any other amp I have owned, but I seem to recall Naamanf's K1000 sounded better with his Beta 22 (don't know if the difference is his K1000 or his amp). But still, I even prefer my HD800 off the ZDT more than the K1000, although I still enjoy the K1000 (they are just not as good to me). Craig did tell me to buy a Balancing Act with 300B if I wanted to drive the K1000, but I also wanted the 8-watt speaker out for a Stax SRD-7Pro so that I could listen to stats in my dynamic rig in a different room from my GES. That SRD-7 pro works much better for the Jade and HE60 than the O2 Mk1.

I have a harder time picking my first and second place out of the HD800/ZDT vs O2/GES, where I like the extra dynamics and openness of the HD800/ZDT and the refinement and smoothness of the O2/GES.

I have sat down numerous times and tried to put my thoughts down in writing in regards to these two phones, but soon fail as I tend to forget analyzing and end up just listening and enjoying the music. That in itself probably says something. (to me atleast)

In the end they are both absolutley amazing headphones, with both also having the uncanny ability to disappear and leave nothing else.

Great thread too !

Really interesting to hear everyone's opinion on the K1000 and Omega 2. I've had my K1000 for about 4 years now and i've never heard a single electrostat..guess I must be missing out on something!

You should definitely hear a stat. That's like a rite of passage as an audiophile.

interesting results and thanks for sharing.

hmmm...i really do not know how i can reconcile this review with what i've experienced.

i know the k1000s very well but I've also heard the 02s with the BH and BHSE multiple, multiple times and never really liked the 02s.

each time i read these reviews, i think...wow...maybe i should give these a try and each time i listen to them at meets, i never like them.

I even pre-ordered the BHSE based on impressions with the o2s, but after listening to them, did not go through.

i can only say it's always sounded thick and heavy to me. Nothing seemed out of the ordinarily good. Not bad in any way, but nothing jumped out to me that these were something that I should get.

I'll try to listen to them again at this week's norcal meet to see if this impression changes.

It seems to be that people really do hear things differently or just have different tastes in what they like to hear.

But the K1k does have better macrodynamics which together with the slightly overemphasized treble (to my ears) make it sound very exciting on some material. The O2 also has better imaging but the K1000 does have that massively wide and wide-open soundstage with natural crossfeed.

I agree about the treble being slightly extended. That's something I prefer in the K1K.

My new ZDT does a better job driving the K1000 than any other amp I have owned, but I seem to recall Naamanf's K1000 sounded better with his Beta 22 (don't know if the difference is his K1000 or his amp).

Good news to my ears. I can't wait to sit down for a long session with my K1K/β22 once it's back. I've only heard great things about this combo.

Yeah one of these days. Ideally an Omega 2 if possible..still eager to hear that hd800 too..going to have to lookout for an upcoming meet!

You owe it to yourself to listen to the 02. I agree with everyone's assessment of it's technical merits, I just find it too dark and uninvolving myself, but I do tend toward a more lively sound sig. Passion over perfection I'd say.

I'd love to hear the HD800, especially on my β22. Maybe Al (pabbi1) will help me out with that in the near future.

I even pre-ordered the BHSE based on impressions with the o2s, but after listening to them, did not go through.

i can only say it's always sounded thick and heavy to me. Nothing seemed out of the ordinarily good. Not bad in any way, but nothing jumped out to me that these were something that I should get.

Well I do find them to be extraordinarily resolving, fast and very accurate, it's just the overall signature is not my taste.

It's rather, O2Mk1>modded Mk2, Ω/007> SR-Ω > HE60 > HE90 > Sigma/404 > K1k :)

I would have kept my mouth shut until you rated the Sigma over the K1K. That's the strangest sounding headphone I've ever heard, and I have to chalk that one up to extreme stat fanboyism. :P

I think that musical preferences also need to be mentioned here.

I find the 02 much more suited to classical & orchestral music, while the K1000 can venture over to Classic Rock, Blues & Country (yes I said Country) with a better outcome IMO.

Edited by swt61