Omega 2 vs K1000 shootout

deepak

I would have kept my mouth shut until you rated the Sigma over the K1K. That's the strangest sounding headphone I've ever heard, and I have to chalk that one up to extreme stat fanboyism. :P

What Sigma did you listen to and off what amp? The Sigma 404 isn't like the other ones and you need a serious amp to drive them, even the normal bias unit needs a BH.

I think that musical preferences also need to be mentioned here.

I find the 02 much more suited to classical & orchestral music, while the K1000 can venture over to Classic Rock, Blues & Country (yes I said Country) with a better outcome IMO.

I almost entirely listen to rock, metal etc.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The O2 mk I is a serious Texas Blues Can if you have a Texas sized amp.

But I am also not a fan of the K1K, I have tried it off and on over the years and just didn't care for it. When I want to listen to headphones I want headphones and when I want to listen to speakers I want speakers. The K1K tries to do both and IMO does neither particularly well.

Edited by morphsci

I find the 02 much more suited to classical & orchestral music, while the K1000 can venture over to Classic Rock, Blues & Country (yes I said Country) with a better outcome IMO.

Well I like normal bias Sigma better than K1K ;) But that's just me I guess. K1K to me sound like very good mini-monitors, not bad, but not full size :cool:

I am absolutely thrilled with my K1K. I immediately enjoyed them more than I have ever enjoyed a pair of O2s, and certainly more than I've enjoyed any sigmas I've heard, 404 included.

I got to run NaamanF's pair from his b22 alongside his O2s from his BH (both fed by his glorious Buffalo), and the difference was staggering to me. The K1000 does everything I love, and I prefer them to everything else I've ever heard.

That said, Faust's comparison might not be inaccurate -- I also sold my fullrange speakers for a great pair of monitors.

The K1k to me sounds like what the SR-404 should have sounded like: very clean, clear, immensely airy and open sound with a slightly bright tonal balance, forward presentation, and massive dynamic range. Very vivid and exciting sound on some material with microdetail pushed forward. I really do like the K1k my comparison with the O2 notwithstanding. It gets the mids right which is the most important thing to my ears (though the O2 does mids even better).

I think the O2's technical merits are undeniable but if the K1k's tonal balance sounds natural to your ears then I can completely see how the O2 would sound dark. But my hearing is the other way around and the K1k sounds a little too lean and hopped-up in the highs while the O2 is just right.

Source will of course be a massively important factor and with a dark source the O2 will sound dark, but if you don't care for the O2's presentation then no source change will probably fix that. I say "probably" since the O2 has responded more to source and amp changes than any other headphone I've ever had. It even makes me believe in cables (sort of; I hear a massive difference but I never did DBT so I am open to the possibility that I'm wrong).

I think the O2's technical merits are undeniable but if the K1k's tonal balance sounds natural to your ears then I can completely see how the O2 would sound dark. But my hearing is the other way around and the K1k sounds a little too lean and hopped-up in the highs while the O2 is just right.

That sounds like the best explanation...I just cannot get into the O2s even though I've tried to hear them in many different systems.

K1000s tone is just perfect for me...

interesting results and thanks for sharing.

hmmm...i really do not know how i can reconcile this review with what i've experienced.

i know the k1000s very well but I've also heard the 02s with the BH and BHSE multiple, multiple times and never really liked the 02s.

each time i read these reviews, i think...wow...maybe i should give these a try and each time i listen to them at meets, i never like them.

I even pre-ordered the BHSE based on impressions with the o2s, but after listening to them, did not go through.

i can only say it's always sounded thick and heavy to me. Nothing seemed out of the ordinarily good. Not bad in any way, but nothing jumped out to me that these were something that I should get.

I'll try to listen to them again at this week's norcal meet to see if this impression changes.

It seems to be that people really do hear things differently or just have different tastes in what they like to hear.

The difference in resolution was very obvious to both of us.

The K1000 are fine with easy listening music like Diana Krall and Jane Monheit. But they simply fell on their face with any complex symphony and rock.

uh......can i just say....... Naim CD555 = smiley_drool.gif

It is good :indra:

Actually we thought the O2 fared better with rock as well :o

I wrote about the bass in the first post, which makes a big difference when listening to rock. I don't think the K1000 reproduces a drum kit or electric bass faithfully. And my friend only listens to classic rock and jazz.

We did not use a subwoofer with the K1000. It simply wouldn't work for my friend. He might as well listen to his speakers, but risks the chance of waking up his wife or kid. We treated both as headphones.

Edited by deepak

It even makes me believe in cables (sort of; I hear a massive difference but I never did DBT so I am open to the possibility that I'm wrong).

Don't write yourself off immediately when it comes to discerning differences between interconnects with the O2s. I don't understand how anyone could not hear differences with an instrument that has such high resolution. Just switching between the Stax RCA cables that came with my T1 and using the $79.00 SignalCables Silver Resolution, the differences are immediately recognizable to my ears.The Stax RCAs sound congested in comparison. Both imo are not great innerconnects and when my new amp comes I will definately pick up a nice pair of balanced cables.

BTW very nice write up Deepak, now you just need a BHSE:)

What Sigma did you listen to and off what amp? The Sigma 404 isn't like the other ones and you need a serious amp to drive them, even the normal bias unit needs a BH.

It was a Sigma Pro IIRC. It belonged to plaidplattypus, he had the older HeadAmp stat amp, don't recall the nomenclature.

I'd love to hear them on a BHSE, and plan to spend a little time with Marc's at some point.

I almost entirely listen to rock, metal etc.

I had his 02 for a lengthy bit of time too, and I really didn't care for them with rock. Though the 02 does female vocals probably better than anything I've heard.

Edited by swt61

I am absolutely thrilled with my K1K. I immediately enjoyed them more than I have ever enjoyed a pair of O2s, and certainly more than I've enjoyed any sigmas I've heard, 404 included.

I got to run NaamanF's pair from his b22 alongside his O2s from his BH (both fed by his glorious Buffalo), and the difference was staggering to me. The K1000 does everything I love, and I prefer them to everything else I've ever heard.

That said, Faust's comparison might not be inaccurate -- I also sold my fullrange speakers for a great pair of monitors.

Now here's the voice of reason. I always knew you were an incredibly intelligent guy. :P

BTW, a balanced Beta22 and a Buffalo32 will be my K1K system soon enough.

Edited by swt61

It was a Sigma Pro IIRC. It belonged to plaidplattypus, he had the older HeadAmp stat amp, don't recall the nomenclature.

I'd love to hear them on a BHSE, and plan to spend a little time with Marc's at some point.

That's the worst of the lot IMO, it's just bland which strange given how well the same drivers perform in a Lambda chassis. I believe the had a KGSS, big black thing with no tubes?

Btw. it's O2 as in Omega2... ;)

We did not use a subwoofer with the K1000. It simply wouldn't work for my friend. He might as well listen to his speakers, but risks the chance of waking up his wife or kid. We treated both as headphones.

That's completely understandable. I happen to be able to crank the volume at any given time, and you'd think that would have me using the speaker rig most times, but I actually prefer the K1K to my speaker rig ATM. Only due to the small room I listen in not being suitable for a good speaker rig though.

That's the worst of the lot IMO, it's just bland which strange given how well the same drivers perform in a Lambda chassis. I believe the had a KGSS, big black thing with no tubes?

That's good to know then, because it was just a weird beast all around.

And yes on the amp.

. it's O2 as in Omega2... ;)

Yes, what did I type? Oh I bet I typed zero, oops.

I've only heard the K1000 for a limited time at a meet so I can't really comment on it, but the O2 is definitely one of the very few cans I've heard (along with the Lambda series) that sound right with the whole "classical" genre, no matter if it's trios, chamber music, opera, symphonies or whatever. Being excellent headphones with all the other music styles I've tried is a nice bonus. Need to buy back a pair soon. :P

I've only heard the K1000 for a limited time at a meet so I can't really comment on it, but the O2 is definitely one of the very few cans I've heard (along with the Lambda series) that sound right with the whole "classical" genre, no matter if it's trios, chamber music, opera, symphonies or whatever. Being excellent headphones with all the other music styles I've tried is a nice bonus. Need to buy back a pair soon. :P

Actually I was never impressed with the K1000 in meet settings, and fell in love with Bahamaman's O2/ES-1 rig at a Dallas meet.

But spending several months with the O2 (granted with a KGSS) changed my opinion.

I bought the K1000 just because I found a really good deal at a time when they were going for insane prices. I knew I could easily make my money back if I didn't like them. And I ended up loving them.

My feeling is that while the K1000 drives with more push at a lower volume, that drive is comparitively abrasive and grating and ultimately requires going further into drive (or the application of +bass EQ) in order to satisfactorily flesh out the low end. And even then, that grating remains in the midrange irrespective of such intervention.

That grain is what sets the K1000 from the Ergo AMT even though both are equally treble happy and the Ergo a bit more more bass restricted. The O2 is smooooooooooooooth in the mids, has a fleshy body in the low end and suffers not one tiny bit from the inducement of listening fatigue I get from any of the other headphone I own or have owned after varying periods of time at various listening levels. (The next best in this regard was my SR-202, which does perhaps say something...)

I've tried hard to make the K1K work for me, but ultimately it fails on its ascent to the top on a relatively high cliff near the peak, rather than clinging onto the summit with bloody and broken fingers as the Omega 2 stomps repeatedly on its hands as the TakeT does.

The Surrounder never left base camp, it likes to just party with the lady mountaineers the night before the climb and then retreat into its box with a hangover.

It's always surprised me a bit that you haven't thinned the herd a bit to finance an uber amp for the O2. You've made it clear that it's pretty much your top can, so what's you reasoning for not doing so? Or do you simply like having the variety of headphones that you have?

That was not meant as a criticism at all mind you, just a curious inquiry Squire. :)

My feeling is that while the K1000 drives with more push at a lower volume, that drive is comparitively abrasive and grating and ultimately requires going further into drive (or the application of +bass EQ) in order to satisfactorily flesh out the low end. And even then, that grating remains in the midrange irrespective of such intervention.
This sounds like an unrecabled pair -- am I right?

I don't prefer the K1000 over the O2, but I feel it has a place in my collection, and the O2 does not. The K1000 is so different from every other headphone -- mostly in presentation, but if well driven, it's also one of the better dynamic headphones (it, uh, is dynamic, isn't it?) -- that I just like having one around to listen to once in a while. The O2, the HD800, and pretty much every other headphone out there, even the one with the drivers that are more or less in front of you (one of the older Stax models, I forget which ones, great big horkin' boxes on the ears) don't compare to the K1000. The O2 is downright pedestrian in its presentation -- they're still basically headphones. Not that there's anything wrong with that! (I love my headphones.) But the combination of the wings and the quality just elevate the K1000 to something special.

And good point about the meets -- the meets are a really hard place to listen to K1000's. You basically have to be able to listen to two things at once, and then tune one of them out. Usually the louder one (at the levels I listen to, anyway). Sort of like watching a transparent computer monitor view superimposed on a pair of glasses while walking down a busy street.

I think neither the K1k nor the O2 do all that well under meet conditions. Also both require absolutely exact system matching. Which explains to me why both headphones have impressions that are all over the place. The O2 further exascerbates this problem because it requires a perfect fit, and can change sonically quite a bit depending on the fit. So there's even less chance of getting the sound you want right off the bat at a meet.

Another, admittedly strange plus of the K1k is that it puts no pressure whatsoever on the jaw and ears when you're wearing it. I have a friend that can't wear headphones since he gets sudden splitting headaches if anything puts sustained pressure on the ears, and can't really wear IEMs either due to comfort issues. The K1k on the other hand works out perfectly.

It's always surprised me a bit that you haven't thinned the herd a bit to finance an uber amp for the O2. You've made it clear that it's pretty much your top can, so what's you reasoning for not doing so? Or do you simply like having the variety of headphones that you have?

That was not meant as a criticism at all mind you, just a curious inquiry Squire. :)

Sent you a PM.