The new Zana Duex

Ooops! Mybe thats why only I can open it. Anyway 909 had the pics. I did not know. I have not opened gmail since before vacation till today. And Earl, thoes rectifier tubes look just like the ones that shipped with mine but I changed them. They were a china 6 lmnopqrst something. Dual mono tube rectification, nice.

Guest sacd lover

Ooops! Mybe thats why only I can open it. Anyway 909 had the pics. I did not know. I have not opened gmail since before vacation till today. And Earl, thoes rectifier tubes look just like the ones that shipped with mine but I changed them. They were a china 6 lmnopqrst something. Dual mono tube rectification, nice.

Why did you go to the 5u4g?

when I click on the above link, I got "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you." Any ideas? Thanks.

Sorry! I will put the other one back then. :-[...............................................Actually I was just tube rolling and that tube would work so I tried it and ended up leaving it there.

Mikey, is the production version of the Zana Duex identical to your Zana Duex?

How difficult are the Zana Duex's tubes to source?

According to Craig, "It is a different power supply, stiffer than Mikey01's, and it has better output coupling caps. The power supply has more instantaneous available energy to the load." That is an email he sent me to let me know the Zana was ready

I found tubes easily and they are currently in production in Russia, I am to understand. The six I have are from the original NOS tube run they made for the Mig Jet. Highly tested but no longer under Russian security quarentine. Them e'll cost ya a might bit more.

From what I understand from a previous conversation with Craig is that the power supply would go dual mono (remote the transformers) and tube rectified. In other words a seperate power supply for each side. I have one powersupply doing double duty totally on board. Also the biggest caps would be oil caps specially made for Craig from soy bean oil and would be large. I have some ultra premium (hard to find) caps inside mine, which were very expensive but not as large or as good as the soy in oil caps used now. Oh yeah, a deluxe case.

For thoes of you familiar with the EC2A3 and the 2A3si, you will find a similar technology/ build philosophy applied to the upgrade path there as well. And to get a Black Rose ya toss in some better resistors and use premium grade transformers.

It's like adding dual exhaust to a car for better performance.

How come he dropped the 5u4g for the cheap diode rectifiers? Do you know?

Might be because they sound better. I have 12D4 damper diodes on my amp and briefly tried out a 5X4G. Wasn't quite as quiet as the damper diodes and the sound wasn't as natural, the highs were a tad more sibilant. Damper diodes also have a nice delayed turn-on which Kevin Gilmore said is essential for the life of the output tubes.

Now I can't confirm this but someone on the DIYaudioforums had an RCA catalogue from way back when with all the prices listed. A pair of 6AX4 or similar damper diodes actually costs more than a 5AR4 or other such large bottle full-wave rectifier. So they're cheaper now but not back then.

• 5 months later...