APL Denon 3910 mod

DigiPete

• 1 month later...

Well,

I am upgrading the clock in my SACDmods 3910 to this one:

http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=20

Tomorrow I open it up and put in hexfreds as well.

I have been toying with the idea of different regulators to replace the stock ones in the audio section of the psu.

Wow! This all sounds very interesting. Can't wait for the results.

The clock is in!! Sounds very good.

Had a mini-meet at my house yesteday with 909, Iron Dreamer and Edwood.

The 3910 was definetly on par with the Stello 220, IMHO. A bit more full in the bass/mids, so I thought it sounded a bit nicer.

I punted on the hexfreds. Since the switching transistor is after the diodes, and it introduces tons of noise,

I doubt that there is any pay off to putting the hexfreads in, and I didn't have the time to do it before the meet.

Extra capacitance can slow down the power supply, so I

hestitate to add more than the 3000uf that Matt put in.

I am very happy with the unit as is. I may just call it quits a this point... or maybe not >:D

Perhaps a hi-perf regulator might be an improvement??

It certainly is a very good sounding source, SACD was particularly impressive. I've not heard too many of the high end CDP's, but I can see the value in this unit, as the sound is certainly a step up from similarly priced ones I've heard. It had an intimate, slightly warm presentation that could synergize very well with certain types of music in particular.

How hard was the new clock installation? I am surprised it made any difference at all. Was it a large immediately noticeable improvement or just a little? Is it worth the cost?

It was easy to install as it fit with the same mounting holes and hardware that the X03 has.

The connector has a cable which you have to strip the leads on, and solder two of them to the existing +15v wire,

and then also find a ground to connect the other two leads to.

As for sound, it is hard to say. I think the highs got a little smoother, I can now listen to the K701s and they don't seem to have that bit of glare that I noticed after the recable.

Is that the clock, or maybe break-in on the K701 cable -- who knows??

Matt gave me an awesome trade-in for the X03, so I figured I had almost nothing to loose.

PM me for the details.

Pete

I think either the K701 (recabled) burned-in or the clock took that so slight digital edge off. Or a combo of both. They player did seem a little silker smooth though. I would put my money on the clock making the difference for the better, but I don't know how many hours were on the cable when I first heard it. And in the big picture I've never heard a burned-in cable make such a noticeable difference.

Here are two pics I took of our mini-meet:

SNC10126.jpg

SNC10125-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...