Audeze LCD-1 just landed!

Icarium

I think I'm the first consumer to get a pair... sorry NoNoNoNoNoNo!

They rushed 1 of my two pairs out in order for me to try and get it reterminated to balanced prior to the meet. It comes in a giant ziplock bag in a functional travel bag.

They look pretty much identical to the prototypes but less beat up, a nice Audeze logo with a L on the left side (I believe designating which side is left etc and a very durable looking cable. I believe they consulted a few of our resident cable making experts for tips and used something along the lines of Canare/Belden? cable.

Did some tests immediately since I'm still at work and it seems like it leaks as little sound as my w5000s even though its technically an open headphone with the w5000s are technically closed. It might leak slightly more on loud passages, but not enough to bother my co-worker who is sitting 3 feet behind me.

The sound? Was it as magical as I remembered at Can Jam? It's pretty damn impressive. Fast as all get out.I need to shoot it out carefully against the w5000/ad2000/qualias/k1000s to see where they stand.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know they took waterfall on NoNoNoNoNoNo's pair before getting them out (Maybe he has the uber leet pair), so those will show up some day. You can certainly borrow one pair Dreadhead.. probably the balanced one though since the others will be my work phone unless I keep the w5000s and then in that case maybeee you can borrow both. To be determined still :)

I'll take some pics when I get home.. but maybe not until they are reterminated depending on if Ori has time tonight.

Interesting.. I just did a quick swap between the w5000 and the LCD-1s on Neko Case's "This Tornado Loves You."

I know the w5000s arent a well liked headphone, but as j4cbo can attest somehow the dynahi brings out the best from them. They sound killer with it.

Couple observations:

1. The w5000s are more sensitive. I have to go 3-4 clicks to reach ~rough level parity with the LCD-1s.

2. The w5000s seem clearer which really brings out their resolution. I'm not sure which is more detailed at this time, but I can definitely discern where the edges of a note are better with the w5000s than the lcd-1s. This is mostly true with the mids but also as you turn up the volume on the LCD-1s they improve in this area, but do not catch up at the loudest volume I'm willing to listen to at work ;p. Are they power starved from the dynahi? Well it is heavily attenuated after all (The dynahi that is.. had it done since I'm all about low impedance headphones).

3. The LCD-1 is faster it is ridiculously effortless with percussion.

4. It has better imaging/soundstage width by a good ~50% over what the w5000 has. Then again the the w5000 was never all that wide. Imaging is fantastic though. Pinpoint accurate for me in the X/Y axis.

5. Hrm another thought with regards to thought #1. Case's vocals sound great when it is nearly acapella... could it be that it has problems with instrument separation so when there are a lot of things going on... peripheral sounds have priority because those sound amazing.

6. They sound seem to isolate thattt well. If there's no music playing then I can hear my outside environment pretty well.. but I've never really had a problem with isolation in general. When music is playing my attention rachets onto that and everything else fades. So I'm not going to be a great judge at this.. sorry Dusty.

Well anyways this is all within 30 minutes over ownership so who knows how things will change or synergy will change with my other gear.

Hagusb -> Parasound DAC1500 -> Dynahi -> LCD-1/W5000

Well I know they took waterfall on NoNoNoNoNoNo's pair before getting them out (Maybe he has the uber leet pair), so those will show up some day. You can certainly borrow one pair Dreadhead.. probably the balanced one though since the others will be my work phone unless I keep the w5000s and then in that case maybeee you can borrow both. To be determined still :)

I'll take some pics when I get home.. but maybe not until they are reterminated depending on if Ori has time tonight.

Dan that was a mistype. I meant "one of your two". Thanks a ton buddy :)

"Took waterfall" meaning they took a cumulative spectral decay plot of the headphones, aka a waterfall plot.

"Uber leet" meaning significantly full of positive qualities above the norm for that headphone. Also they may be capable of getting "mad headshots" and have "uber micro."