Audeze LCD-1 just landed!

Icarium

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tthe T50 sounded the best to me last I heard. Even better than the YH-1000:o across the frequency range except for bass.

Though the T50V1 had it in spades and probably in moar quantity than the YH1000...that 3 dimensional bass that the YH-1k had was very special.

Then again I would settle for the T50V1 easily :P

Don, what surprised me that they actually stuffed that much glass wool in there for damping.:o

Did you do anything about the cable exit hole?

I ended up doing 2 things to secure the cable

1. I used hot glue as in the original

2. I used a small cable tie which takes up the slack on the inner edge of the cup = I didn't think it would but after test fitting them it was evident that this could be done.

My mind rests easier that there is more than just some glue holding it all together.

Having re-read my cryptic response to Nates question, it seems ambiguous even to me :palm:. The cable reference was to the original and not the cable that I replaced it with.

Yes Saachi, that is quite a wad of glass fibre and yet, I added even more stuff inside. :P

..dB

Very nice work! They even look so much more the business now.

Just curious if you're referring to the stock or uhhh aftermarket cable?

Sweet cables!

interesting. I'd love to fit some leather pads on there... perhaps from that j$ guy or something.

I had him make the custom headband for the Choco Donut Mk.II, and he does very nice work. Haven't seen his pads up close, but his work seems to have evolved even more than when I did business with him. I'd just specify that they need to be rather shallow.

Tthe T50 sounded the best to me last I heard. Even better than the YH-1000:o across the frequency range except for bass.

Though the T50V1 had it in spades and probably in moar quantity than the YH1000...that 3 dimensional bass that the YH-1k had was very special.

Then again I would settle for the T50V1 easily :P

Don, what surprised me that they actually stuffed that much glass wool in there for damping.:o

God I'd love to hear the YH-1000 again, especially with the amplification I could provide today!

I damped the driver additionally without losing the soundstage ( to my ears ), once Marc has them back and he approves, I will post the specifics of the mod for any interested. Personally I think it takes them to a different level. Bass is not as present as I would have liked but they are not bass shy - using my test tones, they are audible from 25Hz (lowest tone) right up to 20kHz without significant change. Possibly a little roll off between 40Hz and 25Hz but nothing to get excited about.

Hey! Wait a minute... you damped them harder to get more bass? What did you do?

Is the dark stuff in front of the drivers just a thin layer of open cell foam?

And perhaps a bass lens would help, since the velours are fairly thin and probably don't keep in the bass too well.

The pads themselves aren't the thin spot. The pads don't rest on the baffle, since its recessed, but on the edges of the cups. That's also the point where the pads end and the "skirt" of very thin and flimsy plastic is sewed onto the pads, to go under the baffle. So right there, it's just a thin plastic film sealing to the outside.

:prettyprincess::prettyprincess::prettyprincess:

Sounds promising! Moar impressions necessary (Steve, get in there and back him up asap :D).

The pads themselves aren't the thin spot. The pads don't rest on the baffle, since its recessed, but on the edges of the cups. That's also the point where the pads end and the "skirt" of very thin and flimsy plastic is sewed onto the pads, to go under the baffle. So right there, it's just a thin plastic film sealing to the outside.

It can has be tiem for ugly tape mod?:P Or you could try lining the insides of the edges with a thin layer of sealing material like blutak, but I don't know how well that'd do mixed in with the velour.

Holy shit that's awesome, except for the headband. Can't wait for impressions + info on cost.

The enclosures look very nice and hopefully they will sound even better than the LCD-1. The headband is definitely fugly and see some upgrade options with it. Much easier than upgrading the enclosure.