eye fatigue

Anyone have any solutions for the eye fatigue that results from staring at an LCD all day? In the ad from buy.com today, one of the items was a $50 pair of glasses designed for exactly that, that I'm actually seriously considering. Also, there's an overlay that one can put over one's screen. Anyone use any of these things? Are there other options ("go blind" does not count -- I'd rather not) that you prefer?

Anyone have any solutions for the eye fatigue that results from staring at an LCD all day? In the ad from buy.com today, one of the items was a $50 pair of glasses designed for exactly that, that I'm actually seriously considering. Also, there's an overlay that one can put over one's screen. Anyone use any of these things? Are there other options ("go blind" does not count -- I'd rather not) that you prefer?

Does use a CRT count?

I actually do have a CRT, but only one, and they're impossible to find for a reasonable price new, these days. And considering they fade, I wouldn't want to get a used one.

EDIT: And as Dan mentioned, I'm not sure they're any better.

PS Are there options when buying glasses to have them specially treated, does anyone know? I do need to get yet another prescription (in less than a year, I believe), I'll be asking when I go. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with it, or if it's not worth it.

I think the solution, Dusty, is to not use your screen as the primary lightsource for the room :)

heh, again I think it depends. For me, turning off all the lights and using a back lit CRT is the best. Old SGI and Sun monitors to be precise. There have been times in my life that I've been staring at a monitor for some pretty insanely long periods, like 48 hours straight. I'd be interested in what you find though.

I have better than 20/20 vision, but I found out that I have an astigmatism (very slight). The doctor gave me some glasses just for the computer (other than that no need), and my eyes don't fatigue nearly as much when I wear them.

It might be worth checking out. BTW, there's no glare prevention with my glasses.

because it is ;)

Oh, so it is :)

I learned that same thing in my speed reading class in high school 1,000 years ago, and I'd say it is worth while if you do it regularly which I did for a short time.

Or you can just drive in commute traffic in a big city. That will have your eyes flipping all over the place.

Are there other options ("go blind" does not count -- I'd rather not) that you prefer?

The trick is to not stare at the screen all day. Look around occasionally, deliberately blink more often, take short breaks, etc.

I never found out until I switched to contacts, but when you're actually focusing on things at the computer (i.e. working) you blink a hell of a lot less than normal, which can cause your eyes to dry out. So that might be a possible cause too.

First thing is to make sure your monitor's calibrated properly. Go here and use the links & charts to setup brightness, contrast, colour, and gamma on your monitor. Most monitors are way, way off and that will cause eye strain.

At the same time, see a eye doc and ask for tips, and get your prescription checked out while you're there. Your glasses or contacts don't have to be off by much to cause problems, 0.25 diopters could be the difference between no problems and "dang, my eyes hurt!"