Stax SRM-T2

spritzer

I've been doing some digging and it turns out the 7308's installed in the amp were not the cheap crap I assumed they were. They are Gold Aero and presumably hand selected Amperex units, quite sought after today. I will have to give them a another go with the OO XF2's. As it stands now the amp could be a bit more engaging.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been doing some digging and it turns out the 7308's installed in the amp were not the cheap crap I assumed they were. They are Gold Aero and presumably hand selected Amperex units, quite sought after today. I will have to give them a another go with the OO XF2's. As it stands now the amp could be a bit more engaging.

Michael Percy used to sell the Gold Aero, but they are now out of business. He does sell the RAM graded tubes though.

So is there any doubt in the BHSE's ability to drive them well then?

Was the thread abou this on the other site before the new BHSE came out? I remember reading that on paper the BH was designed with the 02 and not the H2 in mind.

Not sure if the ability to tune (adjust bias, etc) was new with the BHSE or what, and if this has changed the playing field at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I finally broke down and swapped out the caps in the T2. There wasn't anything wrong with them except being 15 years old, but they could have been the source for the hum which sensitive phones like the SR-003 pick up, so they had to go. First up, a couple of shots of the underside of the PSU board since it had never been removed before:

img2438.th.jpg

img2439i.th.jpg

The old parts were all good quality so I went a similar route, Panasonic and Nichicon caps with one Black Gate FK thrown in for good measure.

img2444.th.jpg

img2448.th.jpg

The hum is still there but less of it. I must be crazy but there appears to be a little more bass slam. Stay tunes for hourly updates as the caps burn in...:palm:

• 5 years later...

DiyT2 or T2?

I was asking about the Stax T2 with it's known issues. I was curious to know if the hype and top place this amplifier has got from many is justified. As new ideas in this community move the SQ forward, maybe that SRM-T2 is not the top amplifier many think now? I am hoping folk out there who have the courage to build a revamp or update of the 'mighty' T2 can do it. The more leading edge designs available to the stat community - it has to be a good thing.

I was asking about the Stax T2 with it's known issues. I was curious to know if the hype and top place this amplifier has got from many is justified. As new ideas in this community move the SQ forward, maybe that SRM-T2 is not the top amplifier many think now? I am hoping folk out there who have the courage to build a revamp or update of the 'mighty' T2 can do it. The more leading edge designs available to the stat community - it has to be a good thing.

I don't have the original T2, but I do think that the DIY T2 should be slightly better due to better power supply and optimum current.  Plus the volume control used on most  DIY T2s are much better.  Most DIY T2s utilize either DAC-T or RK50 while quad RK27 is used on the Stax SRM-T2.

Edited by purk

Hi Purk

I read on here somewhere that the PS set for the Stax T2 was only 5.5Ma due to there heat. Is that correct? If yes, it may be a contributing factor that would hold back the Stax version, as I am thinking DIY versions with better venting and bigger heatsinks will take 10Ma plus? Is there anyone posted who owns a DIY T2 and has heard (decent demo session) the Stax T2?