The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

I bet everybody knew this was coming but we've been moving fast and the board is taking shape. :)

t2stereoproto.th.jpg

If it's not clear from the photo then this is a massive slab, 16" x 12", so quite a bit bigger then the production version. It will be built like the BHSE with the board mounted to the top of the chassis, with the tubes sticking out of the top and the components on the bottom. Massive heatsinks are needed to keep this beast cool and a single angle bracket is used on each side of the board to connect all the parts together and make assembly just a bit easier.

To honor the Stax legacy the following will be printed on the board: "With the utmost respect and admiration for Dr. Takeshi Hayashi, a living legend". For those who don't know, Dr. Hayashi is the designer of the T2 and also the son of the Stax founder. Without his great vision and talents we wouldn't have the quality of phones/amps we have today.

We will keep you updated as the project moves forward.

• Like 3

200$ per PCB is certainly not out of the question. 100+$ for basic stuff from China...

practically free compared to the rest of the project. might as well go all out. 4 layer, 1/8" thick

I'd really like a black solder mask with gold immersion and 4oz copper to go with the 24 leds per channel. Perhaps a different material then FR4 too since this is a crazy-go-nuts project after all. :P

I'd really like a black solder mask with gold immersion and 4oz copper to go with the 24 leds per channel. Perhaps a different material then FR4 too since this is a crazy-go-nuts project after all. :P

Years ago when I worked in the electronics assembly industry, we did a small run of boards made from Arlon AD320. They have a whole bunch of fancy board materials which you find on this page. Might as well use the good stuff when you're building an all-out project.

Yeah, scratch that. Just did a bit of estimating on Imagineering and $150 per board is not at all out of the question. That would put me firmly out of the "I'll pitch in to help" camp. A $150 board I'll never use is not something I can do right now.

You might want to look at it differently. After Birgir finishes and tells everybody how good it is, everybody will want to build one. Then you can sell the boards for $300 a pop and do well. Oops, forgot where I was for a second. :D

Years ago when I worked in the electronics assembly industry, we did a small run of boards made from Arlon AD320. They have a whole bunch of fancy board materials which you find on this page. Might as well use the good stuff when you're building an all-out project.

Didn't ML use that stuff for the updated versions of their gear?

I'd like to know what KG and ultimately Birgir think of the sound out of the T2 as compared to a BH/BHSE/ES-1/etc. so that I know what I am getting, but who wants to be paid to build me a T2|2010? :o

You will get a full report. :)