The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

Dr. G-

Please put me down for a complete setup, and I've always wanted something with an RK50 so I will plan accordingly once somebody agrees to build this beast for me. Let me know when you want funds, but I appreciate you fronting costs for now.

Thanks, Al

Can I make it two sets of boards with my setup, just to be safe?

Uh, extra boards? Given that the boards for this will cost more than your dynamight it seems unlikely that there would be extras just floating around.

oh im sorry, i thought i was posting on head-case... my bad... :rolleyes:

i guess i missed the signup for the elite DIY cool kids club

thanks for reminding my why i left :P

What is "lying around" supposed to mean? All Nate said was it is unlikely that expensive boards would be floating around unclaimed and therefore yours for the taking on the cheap. You overreacted, plain and simple. Plus, saying something like "thanks for reminding me what assholes you guys are" is pure douche. It surprised me because that is not how I think of you normally.

actually i said "if there was an extra board"

i didn't realize it seems only 2 or 3 are being made i guess?

but thats all he had to say, not be so condescending... that kind of attitude really bugs, and I usually don't let anything get to me... meh... whatever don't want to derail the thread... enjoy building your stax clone guys...

It's all spelled out pretty clearly on the previous page:

if you are interested, let me know. I'm upfronting the money, so i don't

want any payments now.

...plus he says somewhere else that it's going to be expensive (he actually does the numbers, it's in the US$K's), so if you're worried about price, don't bother, no tirekickers, etc. I.E. do not take advantage of his generosity. The part about the knobs is a joke, but the other parts aren't.

so...-100 pts. reading comprehension

It's all spelled out pretty clearly on the previous page:...plus he says somewhere else that it's going to be expensive (he actually does the numbers, it's in the US$K's), so if you're worried about price, don't bother, no tirekickers, etc. I.E. do not take advantage of his generosity. The part about the knobs is a joke, but the other parts aren't.

so...-100 pts. reading comprehension

believe it or not, minus the $200+ price tag on the PCB, which considering the run qty and size, is unsurprising, things don't have to have $20/ea resistors to sound good... I never said I was cheap, or was unwilling to spend money on things I enjoy doing, I just said I try to get the most "bang/buck"...

believe it or not, minus the $200+ price tag on the PCB, which considering the run qty and size, is unsurprising, things don't have to have $20/ea resistors to sound good... I never said I was cheap, or was unwilling to spend money on things I enjoy doing, I just said I try to get the most "bang/buck"...

what about a whole mountain of $8/ea transistors? This isn't a "bang/buck" project.

The part about the knobs is a joke, but the other parts aren't.

Not a joke. But i don't expect anyone to buy one either.

I have enough gold in stock for 3 knobs, and enough platinum

in stock for one.

But i do like the idea of making knobs out of titanium. Looks like you

made it out of sterling, except that it does not tarnish.

really? i was pretty offended by his response, but i guess if i cant put a $10k volume knob on it, it must not be worth building by laypersons like me

I think you saw whatever you wanted to see in my post and ran with it. All I said was, the boards are going to be expensive, it's unlikely there will be extras kicking around. I didn't make any statements or judgments about your planned or previous builds, didn't say you shouldn't try to see how inexpensively it could be built or otherwise. So how about you knock off whatever chip there is on your shoulder about this and get over it? I hope you build it, I hope you use whatever parts that you want to do so, lord knows a large percentage of my builds are not of the "let's see how much I can spend on this" variety so odds are it'll be pretty interesting to me.