The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

What i mean to say is that all the circuit board/chassis sets are spoken for.

I certainly have not shipped any of the chassis sets yet. They are not even done yet.

This week i hope to do 2 more sets of heatsinks, then off they go to anodizing.

Next week the same thing with the front/back panels.

I may have to come in on a weekend or two to catch up.

What i mean to say is that all the circuit board/chassis sets are spoken for.

I certainly have not shipped any of the chassis sets yet. They are not even done yet.

This week i hope to do 2 more sets of heatsinks, then off they go to anodizing.

Next week the same thing with the front/back panels.

I may have to come in on a weekend or two to catch up.

oops, just read my pms again:palm: I'm in no hurry and wouldn't mind being dead last.

What did you decide on for the finish/anodizing?

• 2 weeks later...

On page 28, Spritzer suggests there are a couple of errors on BOM v4.

Where do I get the latest BOM (I have v3 and am considering starting to obtain parts)?

Has anybody completed the build yet, or are all still waiting for parts?

Happy building!

Petter

Edited by Petter
bad sentence

Guest sawyers
Yep you are right, teflon tubing... Not what i wanted. What i'm talking about is .5 inch high plated tin tubes

that are solderable and have a round bump at the end so they stay put. I can get a picture of the old ones,

but no idea who still makes them.

Edit: i saw what i wanted to see, hoping someone had found those things :(

Kevin

Couple of things came to mind. One is these

http://www.verodirect.com/images/PDF/Type%208%20Terminal%20Pins.pdf for which the spacing is only 1.4 inch (3mm). The other generic name is turret tags. I suspect that is what you are thinking of, http://www.keyelco.com/pdfs/M55p127.pdf which lists lots of interesting gubbins for attaching components and wires to circuit boards.

Craig

Kevin

Couple of things came to mind. One is these

http://www.verodirect.com/images/PDF/Type%208%20Terminal%20Pins.pdf for which the spacing is only 1.4 inch (3mm). The other generic name is turret tags. I suspect that is what you are thinking of, http://www.keyelco.com/pdfs/M55p127.pdf which lists lots of interesting gubbins for attaching components and wires to circuit boards.

Craig

Those Turret Terminals look interesting.

Guest sawyers

Oh my word - my boards just arrived here in the UK. I'm kind of reeling - just the board area alone makes a BH look compact. Wowowow.

In colloquial English - I'm gob-smacked.

I can see lots of fun ahead.....

Craig

PS - the downside is the punitive taxes here. They charge 17.5% of the cost *plus* shipping, then add another

Guest sawyers
Yeah, the boards are huge. Thankfully I was able to modify my rack to fit either the amp or PS board which should make working on this monster a lot easier.

I'm just in the throes of rationalising my lab - my antistat workbench is (like all benches tend to be) covered in "stuff". It is absolutely clear that I need serious space to work on this sucker.

The problem down the line will be where to site it in the house, and what to put it on!

Craig

When fitting the 3381's, buy a 0.7mm drill and enlarge the holes a bit. Otherwise it is very fiddly to get them to sit correctly...

PS - the downside is the punitive taxes here. They charge 17.5% of the cost *plus* shipping, then add another

Guest sawyers
When fitting the 3381's, buy a 0.7mm drill and enlarge the holes a bit. Otherwise it is very fiddly to get them to sit correctly...

Thanks for the tip. Just checked and I've got an 0.7mm PCB drill already, so that works out well.

It's less then what we have to pay up here. On most small packages the taxes/fees add up to 100%... :palm:

The problem is that we're all paying off UK/US/Icelandic debt racked up as a result of bank bail outs. We'll be doing that for a couple of decades too. Pass the walking frame.

7 more heatsink sets are machined. (plus the set i have, and the one set i shipped)

I wanted to do some front/back panels this week, but was just too busy.

Hopefully monday.

I'm pretty sure i have all the remaining parts for the power supply board, so i should

be able to power it up this weekend.

justin should be shipping me more front/back material very soon.

i already opened the holes for the 3381's a couple thousandths. fefore i shipped the boards

to people... my test 3381's fit fine... There is no reason to cram it all the way to the circuit

board, in fact it should sit about 3mm above the board.

Edited by kevin gilmore

The problem is that we're all paying off UK/US/Icelandic debt racked up as a result of bank bail outs. We'll be doing that for a couple of decades too. Pass the walking frame.

This was going on long before that. These new fangled electronix are considered luxury goods up here so they should be taxed accordingly... :palm: Speaking of the bailout though, I have to remeber to vote tomorrow. It will be fun take part in something that will truly piss off the EU.

I'm pretty sure i have all the remaining parts for the power supply board, so i should

be able to power it up this weekend.

Woot!!!

i already opened the holes for the 3381's a couple thousandths. fefore i shipped the boards

to people... my test 3381's fit fine... There is no reason to cram it all the way to the circuit

board, in fact it should sit about 3mm above the board.

I damaged a few units while trying to get the front row to make contact with the board. Could be that I used an axe to do this...

This was going on long before that. These new fangled electronix are considered luxury goods up here so they should be taxed accordingly... :palm: Speaking of the bailout though, I have to remeber to vote tomorrow. It will be fun take part in something that will truly piss off the EU.

Woot!!!

I damaged a few units while trying to get the front row to make contact with the board. Could be that I used an axe to do this...

I had been hoping to get the Pico Slims all done before the vote. Please don't screw things up too much.

500 volt power supply tested, full power, 20 minutes.

Total cold to warm variation .2 volts. Nominal output voltage, 500.1 volts.

I have not fully stuffed the other 3 high voltage supplies yet.

But they are all cuts and pastes of the 500 volt supply, so i'm

stinkin happy over this.

Will finish stuffing and testing tomorrow. :D

I can't find the + and - 12 volt regulators :(

Yeah Team...

updated schematic for the power supply board with all known corrections.

(i think) (its all really minor stuff, missing .1uf caps, wrong resistors for 555 timer)

(labeled diodes, missing 2 diodes)

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/t2schempower.pdf

if someone finds more errors in the schematic let me know.

At least the board is known correct.

Edited by kevin gilmore