The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

If any of you that have bought and taken delivery of the boards decide that this is a bit much for you

then please sell them (at no profit) to someone who desperately wants them, and let me know who

you sent them to. Although i would love to end up with a couple of spare chassis (for the SRX)

the idea was 19 boards sets, and 19 chassis sets.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/staxprod1.jpg

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/staxprod2.jpg

And off to spritzer shortly.

If there is a second run of boards, we can certainly change things at that time.

No way am i doing another 700 lbs of aluminum.

Awesome looking Kevin ;p Really glad I reentered this ;p Surely won't be too stupid to not get in on cases.

Its the flame thrower burned volcanic ash icelandic edition :D

Yes those were srx3 pro's. Probably close to 30 years old. Owned by mypasswordis

For those of you that have seen the sony 5400, the finish is absolutely identical to that.

And its a very deep anodize. Which means that the screws fit kind of tight the first time.

(waiting for a swt61 comment...)

Well yeah, they're all kind of tight for me the first time. Except maybe MPI who had no muscle control left by then. :P

Good god that looks sweet :cool:

Did people realize the gravity of what they were listening to at CJ?

It would have destroyed the wes in presence alone hehe.

There's no doubt the T2 is in another league compared to the WES. It's a good thing for Woo the two weren't in the same room.:D

Except maybe MPI who had no muscle control left by then. :P

Didn't stop my ass from being sore the next morning.:(

If any of you that have bought and taken delivery of the boards decide that this is a bit much for you

then please sell them (at no profit) to someone who desperately wants them, and let me know who

you sent them to. Although i would love to end up with a couple of spare chassis (for the SRX)

the idea was 19 boards sets, and 19 chassis sets.

I'm in this for the long haul. The pox-stricken dollar/UKP rate is still spiralling downwards, so now there is no financial benefit now from sourcing the semiconductors in the US - so I'll just use my UK supplier and have done. At least I'll be able to get on with board stuffing (lots of it!).

Hopefully (I'm ever hopeful) the exchange rate will have come up a bit by the time my chassis set is ready (no rush, Kevin). I think we're being financially punished for all the oil we've thrown into the sea in the Gulf of Mexico.

The price I am able to get for the above profile is 28.77 eur for raw aluminum and 37.09 eur for black anodized in precut 100mm lengths. Shipping is still to be defined. My German is a little rusty and had to ask for clarification. Depending on this answer, I might take on a few extra pairs.

3197d1276029038-ultimate-diy-stax-srm-t2-t2.jpg

Here's an example of this profile, if you need something more visual (obviously a little taller than 100mm length though):

3207d1276177298-ultimate-diy-stax-srm-t2-front-ts.jpg

post-484-12951157448737_thumb.jpg

Edited by luvdunhill

I've got a parts procurement problem for the T2. The IXCP10M90S from Mouser comes up with "Restricted availability", which is Mouser shorthand for the fact that IXYS has blocked supply of these devices to the UK. Heaven knows why, but it gives me a bit of a headache.

Anyone got any suggestions how I prise the required 13 off out of the US?

I think I have it worked out. The block on export is specifically on Mouser. I have tracked 10 down in the UK at GD Rectifiers, and have since found that Future Electronics have them listed and available to a UK address.

So fortunately it is not a generic ITAR-type export restriction.

As a postscript, I have just ordered from Future - ex stock, and cheaper than Mouser.

So 'rice, my antipodean mate - try Future Electronics!

Just out of curiosity, how many boards were originally made, and how many cases?

Ok, I have a ball park on the heat sinks. Absolute worse case, including shipping to you is about $300 for a set of four in 100mm lengths anodized. If you want black anodized, we can do that for the differential above. That's $75 each. There is a lot of padding in there, trust me, in case I get hit for import taxes and fluctuating exchange rates. That's not cheap, but given the fact that this profile isn't easy to find (even for Kevin) I think it's fair. I will obviously refund any overage, but I want to cover my ass.

Also, please buy Kevin's stuff before considering this. I don't want to step on his toes. Must stay in good graces to qualify for those mounting brackets :)

ah, okay I was confused because some people (like deepak) had boards and didn't have cases. I guess that implies that Kevin has left over cases. If there is a 1:1 correspondence, then perhaps my services aren't needed. I want to make sure all of Kevin's cases get sold.

I'm speaking out of turn and should stop. Kevin is the only one that knows for sure what has been ordered and sold.

Agreed. My understanding is that all the orginal boards / cases were spoken for, but we need to get that from Kevin.

There was a conversation regarding an additional run of boards, which Kevin said he wouldn't mind doing. That brought the heat sinks up as the major stumbling block. If we can solve that (and Marc this looks promising), then I think the world may have some more T2s.

In that case, let's view this initial run as "prototyping". If anyone wants in, let me know, but I plan to act on this pretty quick.

I'm not exactly clear on how to deal with the extra length, but I need to look things over. My first impression is that shoving the board to the rear of the case is the way to go. It's not that much longer really.