The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

have a look here and drool... (go thru each wood on the left, one at a time)

Woods by Specie: Amazon Exotic Hardwoods

I'm going to buy at least 10 different pieces.

Looks like you've found a local supply at reasonable prices. You'll know if you've got the real mckoy with LV from the perfume. Ones that you have absolutely got to have in your basket are:

Burmese Paudauk

Cocobolo

Macassar Ebony

Honduran Rosewood

Kingwood

Olive

Purpleheart

Zebrawood

Ziricote

I keep a small stock of turnery blanks (which is what this supplier provides) for small parts - contrasting through wedged tenons, knobs, decorative inserts, bow tie inserts etc.

The thing to absolutely watch about these things is that most are not as stable as LV - many are prone to splitting if you take them straight into a dry heated or air conditioned house. You have to slowly acclimatise them to the humidity in which they will finally be used - reckon on a year or more per inch of thickness.

Beautiful stuff there. Their prices seem to be very close on the Lignum Vitea I priced on ebay. Found out while searching that LV was once used for bowling balls.

The other main applications were in golf, where a "wood" used to have an LV head, and ship's propellor bearings. Because of its self-lubricating properties and complete imperviousness to continual immersion in salt water it was used extensively in the days of steam. Better wear properties than brass bearings.

It was also use in woodwork for mallet heads because of its density.

Of course, that meant that the relatively small global stock of this very slow growing wood is nearly depleted, meaning it is not easy to get hold of in decent sizes.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, part sourcing is pretty interesting :)

Could I get some help with a few things. Read the whole thread but could not find an answer.

I need a replacement for the 8 fast diodes STTH1512D

And I can't find these:

100/3W 71-CPF3100R00FKE14 CPF3100R00FKE14

100K/3W 71-CPF3100K00FHE14 CPF3100K00FHE14

100uf/50v 647-ups1h101mpd ups1h101mpd

8 pin socket ??

I found the FKE14 at Newark but the shipping is not nice and wanted to see if i could combine.

Thanks for any help.

And Colin/Nebby, watch the wallets :P