The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

posting pictures of the fake 2SA1486:

breakdown voltage: (real ones have Vbr at around 700V)

e3big.jpg

back side: (notice epoxy sloppily applied)

9hQ1m.jpg

front side: (The dimples are rubbed out on some devices indicating the original print is scoffed off. In fact, the real device look completely different.)

o8Vut.jpg

all 70 of these things go in the garbage can. They were sourced from utsource.

I must be missing something, I see max voltage listed at 600V on the datasheet, but no reference to V(br).

Your results are believable though. Sorry to see it.

The Vbr should be a comfortable margin over the Vmax spec but there is no given limit for this and it varies from unit to unit.

hmm..got my DY294 tester, i am guessing mine is defective?

- set V(BR) to 1000V PNP

- insert 2SA1486 that i know is good

- get a measurement around 70V

- tried a 2SA1968 that i believe is real and get around 150V

- tried a 2SA970 (definitely real) get about 25V

ok, how about switching it over to NPN and put in the complimentary 2SC2240

- hmm, 200V range is too low. switch it to 1000V range.

- 215V .....thats either really good as the datasheet says 120V, or the # is wrong too.

Edited by justin

yes, when i do that i get the ~70V. when i flip it around so the labeled side of the A1486 faces me, i get the correct 700V. this is true of both batches of 2SA1486 that i have, ones from bdent (that have been used for BHSEs so far) and ones from dalbani that look slightly different.

Edited by justin

These arrived from RichTech and look to be genuine- the logo looks like the Hitachi logo I've seen on other parts, and the date code looks sensible. Have to wait until my transistor characteristic checker arrives from China to see for sure if these are the real deal.

rich-k216.jpg

My transistor checker arrived. Measured the 2SK216's from RichTech and they have a breakdown voltage of 229 volts +/- 1 volt. So they SEEM OK.

Thanks!! I was worried I wouldn't be able to get a lot of this stuff. 2sk216 and 2sj79 also back in stock smile.png

The BOM says 2sk246GR but I was wondering if 2sk246 or 2sk246BL is a suitable substitute?

N3rdling, I bought a (100) of these things from Zhou Fang of DIY Audio for a good price. I am planning to go through and test all of them, and do a rough match. Seeing that we only need (4) of them, I could probably send you a set. Just shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Edited by Horio

• 2 weeks later...

How many DIY T2's have been built / are up and running? 8? 12? More?

There's a second wave being built now, about 15~18 units....

My PCB's just arrived. This amp board is large, for sure. You get an idea of the scale in this photo. I love it.

t2pcb.jpg

PS- that's the regulation "small part/small fastener" -pattern industrial carpet on the floor of my workshop that you see there. I've spent may lovely hours sharpening my cursing skills whilst kneeling on that floor looking for an SMD diode or a #2 washer.

Edited by Milosz