The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

You definitely need the thicker Aluminum Oxide Pads that Wink posted. Though they aren't very cheap, the PEEK screws are really what you want for mounting the semi's to the sinks as well. No sense "skimping" on a build of this nature and cost.

Edited by Horio

Yep, use the PEEK screws, you don't want to have a metal screw.... 900v can pretty readily arc through one of those insulating shoulder washers you'd normally use at lower voltages to insulate the mounting screw from the TO-220's tab.

PEEK is polyetheretherketone, a fairly high-strength plastic. You can't tighten PEEK screws to the same torque you'd use with a steel screw, but PEEK is tougher than other plastic screws- nylon, derlin, etc. and you can get them pretty tight before they fail.

Max torque for the PEEK screws is about 21 oz-in or about 1.5 kg-cm.

Edited by Milosz

PEEK screws are a pain to get here in the antipodes.

$57+ for 100 m3 x 12mm screws and almost $90 for shipping........... Nuts & washers, ditto..

I'm feeling more like Birgir every day......

I bought the M3 PEEK screws, but I am planning to use a metal "heavy hex" nut and nylon washer from McMaster-Carr. The heavy hex nut has more depth than the PEEK nut, so you should be engaging even more threads on the screw. In theory, this should actually make it more difficult to strip. Nylon washers are dirt cheap too, and I don't really see the need to spend $50 on PEEK washers. You should already have plenty of isolation from the PEEK screw alone.

I bought the M3 PEEK screws, but I am planning to use a metal "heavy hex" nut and nylon washer from McMaster-Carr. The heavy hex nut has more depth than the PEEK nut, so you should be engaging even more threads on the screw. In theory, this should actually make it more difficult to strip. Nylon washers are dirt cheap too, and I don't really see the need to spend $50 on PEEK washers. You should already have plenty of isolation from the PEEK screw alone.

why not use a metal washer? i assume you're talking about the washer under the screw head.

I was thinking about the washer and nut on the heatsink side. Screw , washer, transistor, thermalloy, heatsink, washer, spring washer, nut.

ok.. im switching to the PEEK screws for the BHSE. but those are all tapped holes, no nut. so likely just screw + spring washer + flat washer + transistor + insulator -> heatsink surface

Yay, my parts are finally on the way here from Bangladesh!! facepalm.png Mouser does get props for great customer service and they even dug up the phone number for the bakery and called me when my email wasn't working.

ok.. im switching to the PEEK screws for the BHSE. but those are all tapped holes, no nut. so likely just screw + spring washer + flat washer + transistor + insulator -> heatsink surface

Wait... what!!??!! I demand parts to upgrade my unit to the newest spec!!

On a second thought the non-PEEK units might be rare and collectable...

Which version soundz bettah??

grin.gif

How about you change the colour of the "ON" light?

That's gotta be worth at least 30% of subjective sound difference.

RED = sounds more lively

Orange/Yellow - more mellow

Green - more relaxing.

Blue - more cool/analytical.

White - more detail.

If you put in one that keeps changing colour you get the best of it all.

While waiting for my parts to arrive it was time to clear the batteries and do some more damage to the chassis... :) I'm growing ever more annoyed by the rear mounted power switches on my gear and a power indicator is a good thing for somebody like me who hasn't slept a good nights sleep for over a year now. I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and here it is:

p1010188i.jpg

pa291563.jpg

Matches nicely with the titanium volume knob. I also replaced most of the caps in the PSU after the whole transformer episode plus put in some slightly smaller EPCOS units.

Both Channels are working, and playing music. There is still no more sign of oscillation.

I do have noise in left channel (very same sympoms as Kerry, Bubliss), and 1 battery there is adjustable, but voltage is drifting a lot - so keeps having to being re-adjusted.

- So i will try lift my resistors - and if that doesnt change, ill replace.

What resistors are reported as "noise-curing" as of now?

- Gilmore: Xicon

- Inu: Takman

- chinsettawong = 1% Royal resistors (Thai brand)

nothing usable but here are the numbers from the circuit board which is 11.950 x 16.00

There is .1 inch between the front of the circuit board and the inside of the chassis.

From the front center of the circuit board, in inches

+1.900,+2.575

+5.465,+2.575

+12.150,+2.500

+13.950,+2.500

+1.900,-2.575

+5.465,-2.575

+12.150,-2.500

+13.950,-2.500