The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

^ Yup, that's what I try to clone. The top and bottom panels are not as thick as the Vitus, though. I'm going to black anodize and powder coat the heatsinks. The others are silver, just like the Vitus. Front panels are different, I'm weighing up some options now.

The 'sinks are from http://www.heatsinkusa.com/10-080/. Each side is 2 pieces of 10.080" x 5" attached together. I had to shorten one of them to match the length of the board. The top panel does a great job covering the edge and makes it look like a single piece of heatsink.

web.jpg?ver=13234196630001

web.jpg?ver=13234196550001

Thanks to Kerry, I have a beautiful new T2 in the house! Tonight was the first chance to fire it up due to shipping damage, which caused the bolts holding the transformers to shear off in transit and wreak some havoc in the PS. But Kerry stuck with me and actually walked me through the steps to fix the PS over the telephone -- mostly bend a few parts back into position, put some wires back into the connector blocks, and test everything with a meter -- even though I haven't DIY'd a damn thing previously. I didn't even electrocute myself! Anyway, the fixes all worked, it tested out perfect, and I fired it up with Kerry holding my hand virtually the entire time. BAM! we have music (and no smoke).

I am thrilled after a short listen to a bunch of different stuff and I am pissed that I have to work tomorrow and then head out of town for 24 hours. angry.png Oh well, plenty of time to spend listening and then comparing to the BHse and other stuff.

Thanks again, Kerry, and now back to the beautiful, beautiful music.

p.s. better pics to follow in daylight sometime, and with the BHse featured as well.

Covet is the word that best comes to mind, and usually anytime your gear is shown. That is a beautiful amp/ps, and I can't think of a better home for it. Really looking forward to hearing the comparisons to the BHSE.

Major congrat on your first DIY outing! Sounds like you held your own.

Now about that stand. :P

Edited by swt61

Congrats on your new toy! Thanks again to Kerry for letting a few of us have a listen before it shipped out to its new home.

Nice! So it's fine to leave it on a long time stacked like that? Not too hot?

We measured the operating temperature after hours of use while they were still at Kerry's. If I am remembering correctly, the amp section had a surface temperature of about 125F. Hot, but not imminent fire hazard hot by any means.