The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

Next is to add a switch to the front panel of the power supply. Spritzer - where did you get the sexy switch for the front of yours? And what is its rating given the level of inrush current that this animal takes?

Craig

I got mine from FrozenCPU but you can also find them in China. 250VAC/5A so they should be ok but I haven't really used mine since fitting the switch. One of the K216's shorted out and I'm still waiting for the PEEK screws. I think new bushings are just what I need and stick with stainless.

Yeah - I just persuaded them through with a small vice and a ceramic insulator to capture the bush as it came through. But it is certainly surprising when they just slip into some devices and not into others. Wear in the press tools that are used to form the tab I guess, since they must start out at nominal dimension with a new press tool. Craig

well, I gave it a try. No way no how was it going through the MOSFETs, even with a vice. There were visible stressing of the bushing, it was white in some places then started to crack. Mine are the very newest revision of these devices. I took a deburring tool and after 15 rotations on each side, then I could finally use the vise and force it through.

Edited by luvdunhill

real men use Beryllium, and laugh at the toxicity as they mutate........

<grin>.

Off topic: If anyone remembers the Yamaha NS100M speakers (domestic, but often used as studio monitors) the tweeter dome was made of Beryllium, behind a mesh screen. And my old Coral moving coil cartridge from black vinyl days had a Beryllium cantilever.

This week i have been listening to some 009s (and 007) on my T2, that i might spend $$$ on.

As you all know, the transparency of the 009 is insane ...

However, i dont feel that they are linear at the bottum/bass ... the volume of the bass is too low. (The mere sound of the bass though, is very nice - articulate, good impact etc). So drums etc. sounds nice, but fade a bit behind in the soundstage.

As i am only started with a new DAC-project, - i am playing on a "lousy" emu0404. But doing quick A/B-switch ... the 007 do play bass! - and seems a bit more compressed (not nessecarily bad!) and controlled - and sounds a lot more overall linear.

It's like: - if i want classic or Jazz - go 009. If i want rock - go 007. (i will be satisfied with either i think)

So: Am i the only one having this experience on T2 ???

Peter

(To buy - or not buy - that is the question...)

hmm ... since the mere sound of the 009 bass is nice, you might get away with using some software equalizer. But maybe the PC processing will mess up the sound quality huh.png

Another route could be choosing an IV-stage for DAC, or a preamp, that has slightly more bass - but this seems even more dangerous - because you arent shure, weather the 2 frequency-characteristics match ...

To buy - or not to buy - that is the question ......

To me the 009 bass has certain limits where it just stops dead in its tracks. It's almost a cutoff point, not unlike the HE90 but far more subtle. The 007 doesn't have this and neither does the SR-Omega (or LCD-2r.1 for that matter).

Messing with the source or amp to suit one transducer is a no-no in my book but then again I'm a purist. :)

To me the 009 bass has certain limits where it just stops dead in its tracks. It's almost a cutoff point, not unlike the HE90 but far more subtle. The 007 doesn't have this and neither does the SR-Omega (or LCD-2r.1 for that matter).

I find this further comment quite interesting. I have an LCD2 R1, and SR-007 mk II; I am now less interested in trying to come up with $4,700 for an SR-009 - I think I will "stop" with the SR-007 for now.

I am not a bass freak, but it is one of the aspects of music I enjoy most - the impact, the texture..... for example I absolutely LOVE the bass from my Quad ESL-57's (within their limits of course)

Edited by Milosz

I find this further comment quite interesting. I have an LCD2 R1, and SR-007 mk II; I am now less interested in trying to come up with $4,700 for an SR-009 - I think I will "stop" with the SR-007 for now.

I am not a bass freak, but it is one of the aspects of music I enjoy most - the impact, the texture..... for example I absolutely LOVE the bass from my Quad ESL-57's (within their limits of course)

If you like the bass on the ESL-57 then I'm sure the SR-009 will keep you happy as long as you don't listen at ear bleeding volumes. When I owned the Quad in the 80’s I had to use a MK subwoofer with them, but I don't find the 009 bass to be lacking as long as I don't push them too hard, and it's very fast and textured. I do find that at extreme volumes when I add more volume that the 009 mids and highs get louder more than the bass does, and the balance shifts away from the bass, but my HE-60 do this too.

Still, the 009 bass is actually fuller and more present than the bass on my HE-60 under most listening conditions (but nothing like the O2 mk1). I think the 007 and 009 are both nice to have, by giving me different sound signatures that I can pick from depending on my mood or program material - the 007 being warmer and more laid back, and 009 being more crisp and vivid in the mids. Having the HE-60 seems redundant now, but these two phones complement each other, just like adding an HD800, HE-500 or T1 to my LCD-2 rev1 for non-electrostatic listening.

I'm not a bass freak either so I'm more concerned with it being reproduced faithfully than anything else. I'd recommend a good SR-007 Mk1 over the 009 as to these ears it is simply a better transducer. The 009 has its momenets but it also annoys me quite a bit...

Wrong forum for this - but this is the measured response of each of my '57's measured in my listening room at 1m on axis.

No too shabby. :) Pair matching is good too given how poor the matching was at Quad.

I'm not a bass freak either so I'm more concerned with it being reproduced faithfully than anything else. I'd recommend a good SR-007 Mk1 over the 009 as to these ears it is simply a better transducer. The 009 has its momenets but it also annoys me quite a bit...

Reasonable minds differ on the 007 v 009 issue. biggrin.png

Best to try both if you can. They do sound quite different.

I can agree with Birgir when he said a few posts ago that the 009 sounds as though it had a cutoff. To me it lacks the body and soul the 007 bass has, or the LCD-2's for that matter. OTOH the 009 is even faster, more resolving, airier and three dimensional than the 007. I love both, I don't regret having purchased the 009, nor will ever get rid of the 007. But to each one his own, I can understand why some people would think the 007 can be held as more "complete", and others would think of the 009 as "superior".

If I were pressed to own just one, I haven't made my mind up yet. If I could keep the LCD-2, then I'd keep the 009, if not, it's very likely I'd end up with just the 007, but not completely sure yet. Fortunately I don't have to make such decisions :)