The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

No boards. No sand.

My position in the list is tentative till chassis price is confirmed, just to clarify.

;D

It won't cost more than the first run by KG, hopefully. Talking with various shops to find out the best one.

If you have the ability to customize the board to the chassis I would do that.

Also prefer a single piece of heatsink.

Been thinking of spending a bit to make a whole custom die. Not sure how much it would cost though.

In a few years? Maybe?

I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut.

I've got the essentials, dunno when i'll pull the trigger.

This thing intimidates me.

Hell, if I can do it then you certainly can! I read your work on your KGSSHV thread. Now get in line, sir!

The boards were revised a bit to fit the 400mm heatsinks. Still waiting for price quotes of custom die.

I am asking for 4oz copper and 3mm thick boards this time. Would be bulletproof and rock stable.

Anyone wants different soldermask, instead of standard green? White or Blue is my favorite. Gold-plated holes?

Edited by Lil Knight

I just got the quote from the manufacturer for 3mm thick boards, 4oz, blue soldermask and gold plated through holes. There is a small price bump for each set ($20) from the last run because processing fee for new revised boards is applied. I did ask for 25 sets to keep the price sane enough. ETA 3 weeks after confirmation.

Would the original board size still fit the case or is it no longer compatible? Also, wouldn't it be easiest to just use the dimensions of KG's custom case with off the shelf heatsinks and connecting brackets (because I would expect extruded panels to cost more), than to do something from scratch?

The 400mm heatsink I am thinking of using is also off-the-shelf. The cost is not really much more than sticking 2 shorter pieces together. Plus, more work required to make those 2 looks like a single piece. Just not worth the hassle, imo. From what I got from my contact, those chunk of 400mm heatsinks (80 pieces) weighs 160 kgs (350 lbs).

All I want is the most seamless and 'invisible' chassis possible. All the screws on top plate will be countersunk and there won't be visible screws in the front panels. There will be many more options during the build, I will make sure everyone is all ok before moving forward.

I finally got details from the machine shop and these are the info. Participants please let me know your decision soon so that I could finalized the quantity.

+ chassis will be 400mm long (15.75") and 77mm (3") tall.

+ all will be black anodized, instead of powder coating as aforementioned.

+ top and bottom panel are 3mm thick

+ front panel 10mm thick

+ punched venting holes

+ laser engraving on front panel. silkscreen on rear panel.

+ all stainless steel socket head screws

+ all holes machined

+ custom machined decorative tube rings

+ (optional) custom stainless steel spikes

Estimated cost for 15 sets (amp+psu) would be $1,180 each.

Also, the new boards would be 3mm thick, 4oz copper, blue soldermask and gold-plated through holes. Each set is $190.

So we are at $1,370 in total before shipping and fees.

The boards needed to be fabricated first, which takes 3-4 weeks. Then the chassis will be in production which is another 6 weeks.

So it would be 10-12 weeks total. I really hope to ship before the year's end though.

Optional stuff:

+ Stainless steel spikes.

9564881394_d0a928c043.jpg

+ Teflon tube sockets

+ Parts from satodenki, depending on stock.

Edited by Lil Knight