The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

I'm a Stax newbie.  Actually my first Stax purchase was in 1969! I'm also insane I think. So in the last few weeks, 009, Stax amp, (big mistake didn't know about this amazing DIY community) now Birgir Carbon superb!! But I'm going to pull the trigger on this one, how could you not??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kerry said:

Thanks everyone.  It really was a labor of love :)

I saw you had to send the PSU front plate back about three times. Magnificent patience all around to make everything just right. I barely had the patience to beat together my circlotron case out of a server rack and some extra parts when they mailed it with chips and scratches.

Edited by Tinkerer
  • Like 1

My BHSE is just one year old...you want me dead Kerry :P

BTW, very happy to see so many people truly dedicated to e-stat, above and beyond the audiophiliac rumble of moaaaar new stuff and moaaaar $$$ (and moaaar shilling) B)

Ali

Edited by Ali-Pacha
  • Like 1

Beautiful piece of work, Kerry :)

In the recent months I've been slowly working on my T2, ended up rebuilding the entire amp board with mostly new parts. Just in the off chance that it was something in the board itself which caused the noise I was hearing. Thankfully nothing blew up, the batteries adjusted to 741V, and it plays music. I could still hear a background noise in it though. Having listened to George's T2 as well I was all but convinced this is just the normal noise level for this amp.

I asked JoaMat about his solid state inputs for the T2, and he was kind enough to send them to me to test out (thanks!). Amazingly enough they worked. The amp is still not utterly dead silent, but it's to the point where it's below the background noise level of my room (which is as close to silent as I can make it). I've also ordered some heatsinks for the 2SC3840s so I wouldn't have to worry about them getting too hot.

With either input set though, I've been having some sporadic noise on the right channel. Sometimes it's a random noticeable "pfff", sometimes it gets stuck noticeably louder. The latter is usually solved by unplugging/replugging in the headphones. Very strange. Aside from an overlooked loose connection or a bad solder joint somewhere I'm not sure what it could be. Anyway please excuse my blurry photos.

eu6ezXC.jpgJDCb1Gy.jpg

Edited by s_r
  • Like 3