The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

I guess the EL35 Pentode was really intended for the T2 and not the Beam Tetrode.  There are 5 connections in the scheme ? While the Beam Tetrode has only 4 elements ? Speaking of which, better turn of T2 until KG confirm about this 

F85A3FDD-2C39-4B55-82FC-69534A6456B6.gif

E4EB9A56-23E2-41F3-B08B-CC17C05860DF.jpeg

Edited by Whitigir

Not sure of the "they" you are referring to but I am using 6922s, which are confirmed to work on Kerry's T2. Those have a max plate rating of 220V. Maybe there are more robust versions of 6DJ8 out there that can go above the normal max, but rather than do hours of research it was simpler for me to just use 6922s. 

6 minutes ago, mypasswordis said:

Not sure of the "they" you are referring to but I am using 6922s, which are confirmed to work on Kerry's T2. Those have a max plate rating of 220V. Maybe there are more robust versions of 6DJ8 out there that can go above the normal max, but rather than do hours of research it was simpler for me to just use 6922s. 

You did use 6922 in Kg T2 successfully ? Which one are you using.  Many tube retailers list 6922/6dj8/ECC88 in the same category 

Edited by Whitigir

More tube weirdness. The JJ 6CA7 is a Beam Pentode, with the beam forming plates connected  to pin 1, similar electrically to the pentode EL34’s G3.

The other big bottle 6CA7s are Beam Tetrodes, with the beam forming plates internally wired to the cathode (pin 8). Pin 1 is NC in this case.

In the GG, G3 is tied to the cathode on the PCB. So no difference electrically between using any EL34 or 6CA7 in that position. In the T2 circuit, G3 is tied to the plate and draws current, so may have stressed the JJ 6CA7 beyond what it could handle. The internally connected EH 6CA7 doesn’t see that. 

F4F3AFFA-8F60-4B87-AD30-E12606F680EA.jpeg

Edited by Laowei
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Laowei said:

More tube weirdness. The JJ 6CA7 is a Beam Pentode, with the beam forming plates connected  to pin 1, similar electrically to the pentode EL34’s G3.

The other big bottle 6CA7s are Beam Tetrodes, with the beam forming plates internally wired to the cathode (pin 8). Pin 1 is NC in this case.

In the GG, G3 is tied to the cathode on the PCB. So no difference electrically between using any EL34 or 6CA7 in that position. In the T2 circuit, G3 is tied to the plate and draws current, so may have stressed the JJ 6CA7 beyond what it could handle. The internally connected EH 6CA7 doesn’t see that. 

I think you just perfectly explained why my T2 cooked my JJ 6CA7, and not the EH 6CA7, while GG played real nice with JJ6CA7 and I loved it

it also seems the explanation, the Beam Tetrode has the second harmonic minimized.  Hence why I am hearing the EH6ca7 more balanced than any of the EL34 I threw on the T2

Edited by Whitigir

16 minutes ago, mypasswordis said:

Fair enough. By "they", I meant stax, but just wasn't sure about the 6922. They certainly used 6dj8 tubes, as did a number of folks here if one were to search through this thread. Maybe the 6dj8s will expire sooner than 6922, but I have had no issues with NOS Matsushita 6dj8 and 7dj8 for at least 4 years (I also used 1980 JAN Philips 6922, but found the amp to not be as quiet as with some other tubes).

• Like 1

so on the input tubes

the input tube has a plate voltage of roughly +75 volts and a cathode voltage of -3 volts

the cascade tube has a plate voltage that would be a max of 250v, but its a current source, and is typically +200V and a cathode voltage of +75 volts and the maximum voltage swing is about 15v

so both tubes well within specifications

closer look at the original pictures and the original tubes are el34G

they look absolutely identical to the Richardson tubes currently made in china which are labeled as 6ca7

Edited by kevin gilmore

those JJ tubes have only 1 hole in the plate per side, the originals have 3 holes and a different configuration of the plate, more square than rectangular.

my T2 is still using the same tubes as when I demo'd it at CJ010.

I recently did a 100 to 120V conversion on a real T2 for someone on HF. It has the original tubes, 22 years old.

(pictures can be supplied if anyone has a real T2 and wants to convert voltages, better than $250 in shipping both ways)

The gold aero's are labeled 6dj8

Edited by kevin gilmore
  • Like 2

I tried the Green label JAN 6dj8, and eventhough it was Balanced from the store.  It was no good.  The balances went crazy from -2V to +3V in a blink that the DMM couldn’t even keep up.  The offset on Left channel was reading 25V and the one in the right channel was reading 177V....holy cow.  I turned off and took them out as soon as I could.....luckily....no smell...

Stuck back on the JJ goldpin ECC88 and the Balanced started right out below 500mV and keep going down steadily into +30 and -30mV on Left, and +150 to -150mV on right.  Balances was dropping steadily when started out 4.5V on Left, and 6.5V on right and drop quickly, probably within couple minutes and it dropped to 0.8V on Left and 1.5V on right, and keep dropping down.

I think these JJ goldpin are meant to be in there.  Better stick to what works as T2 is not something to be playing around with.  The next thing is probably a quad of Xf2 as everyone is saying they sound beautiful.  I have no choice but to get a Quad to get the best out of my T2 and while sticking to what work best.

1CEACE0A-688F-4785-8D0F-782FF0EE6A7C.jpeg

Edited by Whitigir

1 minute ago, mypasswordis said:

I doubt those are the same tubes that I got, which look like this: http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6922-E88CC-Tube-Types/JAN-Philips-6922-Low-Noise

Stick with what works for you, though.

Ah, these are Philips :( gawd, a lot of confusion.  I guess, the T2 really plays nicer with 6922 rather than 6dj8 ? 

2 hours ago, Whitigir said:

I tried the Green label JAN 6dj8, and eventhough it was Balanced from the store.  It was no good.  The balances went crazy from -2V to +3V in a blink that the DMM couldn’t even keep up.  The offset on Left channel was reading 25V and the one in the right channel was reading 177V....holy cow.  I turned off and took them out as soon as I could.....luckily....no smell...

Stuck back on the JJ goldpin ECC88 and the Balanced started right out below 500mV and keep going down steadily into +30 and -30mV on Left, and +150 to -150mV on right.  Balances was dropping steadily when started out 4.5V on Left, and 6.5V on right and drop quickly, probably within couple minutes and it dropped to 0.8V on Left and 1.5V on right, and keep dropping down.

I think these JJ goldpin are meant to be in there.  Better stick to what works as T2 is not something to be playing around with.  The next thing is probably a quad of Xf2 as everyone is saying they sound beautiful.  I have no choice but to get a Quad to get the best out of my T2 and while sticking to what work best.

1CEACE0A-688F-4785-8D0F-782FF0EE6A7C.jpeg

I suppose there are two possibilities - 1) your JJ tubes are out of wack and you set the batteries taking into account their faults (and the sylvanias are fine), or 2) you need to look for a new tube reseller because this one is no good. I find a lot of resellers only test one side of the dual-triode, and I have seen some dual triodes measure new on one side and poor on the other side - this would cause problems in the t2. Not saying that is what happened here, but what you described shouldn't happen if the tubes are good.

If your tubes are good, you should be able to switch them without having to make any adjustments to the batteries. The only time I have had an issue was when the two halves of the dual triode were not reasonably close.

And in answer to your email, I have had bad tubes in my t2, but nothing where the bad tube took out any transistors.

• Thanks 1

I bought these off Tubedepot, and always checked the option of Balance and matching.  The only way to know is to buy new Quad matched elsewhere and try again, but if 1 of the JJ is out of whack, then swapping sides will prove that right ?

Even with JJ swapped side, the balanced and offset just swapped over.  I think you are correct as that this seller does not do Dual triode matching.  However, I will still gonna buy those Philips but from Other place this time :)

Edited by Whitigir

• 4 weeks later...