The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

19 hours ago, swampsong said:

Thank you again everyone, going to get those ordered, strangely enough i'm on vacation in Hawaii but keep thinking about the amp i want to build :)

It will get worse, trust me ! Perfect project to ignore everything else in life LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay SumR is shipping the transformers... so that is good... back from Hawaii became slammed with work, but now i have some time... Going to start stuffing the boards this weekend... Honestly i'm getting a little scared now :):) its all fun and games ordering stuff online but now is the real deal :) I've soldered for years so i'm not worried about that... need to order the volume control that is the last part, and a screws a few other items... should be fun :)

On 8/10/2018 at 10:42 PM, nopants said:

37033569_428799397638950_411781528390782

Whose build is this? pretty slick

Hey, would you look at that. It looks like the over $10,000 that lil' Knight ran off with has actually been put to good use producing T2 chassis and boardsets. Didn't recognize it at first:

And it would appear that you can buy these over on Head-Fi, available in different colours. Glad to hear that Tran isn't dead....

wait so the guy i got my set from is the one who ripped everyone off? if so he said he's doing another board run too...

that makes me feel a little strange...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-stax-diy-t2-boards-rare-transistors-set.876713/#post-14333731

Brazilnut has been telling me i overpaid a lot, and that sucks... but that's life i guess...

i'm probably getting something wrong...

Who knows. All that seems clear is that for the past 3-4 years this fellow has been selling all of Lil knight's parts and builds, including the stacks of T2 PCBs from the failed group buy. Now he is selling the very T2 chassis set from the failed group buy. Also based in Viet Nam, as was lil knight. But then again, could be totally unrelated.

interesting are the angle brackets the parts the boards mount to on the inside? mine has those... I'll take some pics and show in just a bit...

Okay thanks for the tip Kevin, i thought he was trying to make me feel unusually guilty about the money i spent but just wanted to be polite when i'm online having fun with my hobby :):)

1 minute ago, swampsong said:

interesting are the angle brackets the parts the boards mount to on the inside? mine has those... I'll take some pics and show in just a bit...

Okay thanks for the tip Kevin, i thought he was trying to make me feel unusually guilty about the money i spent but just wanted to be polite when i'm online having fun with my hobby :):)

What board version do you have? That chassis would have been made for the shorter amp board with different transistor spacing and the quads of tubes are slightly closer together. Full size amp board does not fit. PSU board is pretty much the same so no issue there.

29 minutes ago, nopants said:

that's the guy that's been harassing me about buying my stax omega's, thanks for the heads up

Now I will be harassing you...

5 minutes ago, swampsong said:

Here are my board and chassis set, the board says this on it incase the pics don't come through good:

Production revision 1.08

Silkscreen version 1.04

Shrunk Version

copper.jpg.cccd958550799c9662d56d0d9a5c9c50.jpgwxKzIFT.jpg.899b52070b42567182c812d0fb637ae9.jpgpsu.jpg.3890d2c5131c0c9a92852fbf505bcb47.jpg

You will need to move your PSU board forward to make space for the transformers.

And have you tried fitting the amp board with the brackets? Might want to double check that it will fit (and whether there is space for you to use board mounted XLRs), looks like it from here, though (as long as the brackets line up).

Okay thank you, i'll test that the amp board fits tonight

Yea the PSU board was just in there not mounted so i can slide it forward i'm sure no problem

Still though if this guy ripped some users off and is now selling those on head-fi maybe i should ask him about it? he has been very forthcoming... i liked to see what his response is... its weird and i think other users at headfi should know... he sold a few more sets after me and is asking for others to do a board run with too...