The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

I get a tap started by putting it in the pillar drill chuck to get it perpendicular.  I turn the chuck by hand while applying a bit of pressure with the drill lever.  Once started, I take the tap (and workpiece) out of the chuck to the workbench and finish tapping using a hand wrench.

Only works if you can get the workpiece into the throat of the pillar drill of course.

this is a reasonably cheap version, probably a very good idea if you are doing T2's

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-tapping-fixture,8363.html

That I like, Kevin.  Want one, want one rignt now.

Edited by Craig Sawyers

Anyone here use spacers to lift the resistors off the board? Wondering if an appropriate part exists that meets all the clearances over the board.

Have been thinking along the same lines, these are ceramic spaces, stack them to adjust height

Allied sells these, or for larger quantities Ebay.

http://www.alliedelec.com/essentra-components-cer-1/70208725/

Another option is a wire forming plier from Excelta or Xuron with adjustable lead bend radius, it puts a U-shaped bend in the wire that holds up the resistor.

http://www.pemro.com/productDetails.cfm?itemCode=EXL-1944

http://xuron.com/index.php/main/industrial_products/13/56

Excelta is very nice but expensive around 6-10x the cost of Xuron depending on the model.

Heat shrink might also be useful but I think the T2 runs far too hot for that.

So I've gotten to the point in my build where I can fire up the amp itself. Unfortunately some LEDs are unlit and the batteries don't want to change their voltage (+250V/-559V) with the trimpots. Specifically D1, D6/D7, D10/D11 and D24 are unlit. Aside from those the LEDs outside of the batteries are dim. The PSU voltages measure dead on. Any obvious culprits I should check?

I told George I wasn't going to get to open the package he sent me until later in the week, but Sunday morning was quiet in the house so i could not resist.  His chassis parts came out amazing, photos are not showing off how clean a job this is. 

Thanks George!! 

IMG_0158.JPG

I'm jealous of the laser engraving....

I wanted to mention that a few folks have been having issues with the power supply not supplying enough current on the -500V rail.  Seems like setting the 30 ohm resistors to 20 ohms helps.  The behavior is that if just one channel (either side) is connected then everything works perfectly, but if you connect both sides, then the rail sags and it's impossible to adjust the batteries correctly. 

If you're not having the issue, there is no reason to do this.

I'm not sure if the amp is drawing a bit more or the current sources are providing a bit less than needed.

In other news, I just got my PS together.  I need to mount transistors to heatsinks, which I'll be working on today.  I did test the relay driver and found a small issue for the LED output, but it was easily solved.

I've got it mounted in a jig so I can easily solder the remaining transistors from the bottom.

Here's some shots :D

IMAG00312 1.jpg

IMAG00314 2.jpg

IMAG00316 2.jpg

IMAG00317.jpg

IMAG00318.jpg

EDIT:  I just wanted to add that I love working with the SMD parts and heat gun.  I'd say I can move about four times faster when stuffing components.

Edited by Kerry
  • Like 3

I told George I wasn't going to get to open the package he sent me until later in the week, but Sunday morning was quiet in the house so i could not resist.  His chassis parts came out amazing, photos are not showing off how clean a job this is. 

Thanks George!! 

IMG_0158.JPG

Got my set from GeorgeP as well, the quality of the work and finishing is superb, many thanks GeorgeP

Edited by b0bb