Jump to content

The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!


spritzer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here's a new twist on my T2 build.  I've added both the HE-90 jack as well as a custom built Teflon HE-60 jack with appropriate voltages/resistances. 

This one is in black chrome :)

That's the back of the power supply... 

1125909553_T2Finalfront-back.thumb.jpg.7f64e6f1b050743a7f98dee0a6680597.jpg

  • Like 25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kerry said:

Here's a new twist on my T2 build.  I've added both the HE-90 jack as well as a custom built Teflon HE-60 jack with appropriate voltages/resistances. 

This one is in black chrome :)

That's the back of the power supply... 

1125909553_T2Finalfront-back.thumb.jpg.7f64e6f1b050743a7f98dee0a6680597.jpg

Hearty congratulations Kerry, What a beauty to behold am quite sure it would be sounding absolutely A M A Z I N G 💥👏✌️

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2021 at 2:01 AM, Kerry said:

Here's a new twist on my T2 build.  I've added both the HE-90 jack as well as a custom built Teflon HE-60 jack with appropriate voltages/resistances. 

This one is in black chrome :)

Congrats, Kerry. That one looks gorgeous! 

Are you using all original transistors or modified boards with substitutes? 
Digital attenuator or analog pot in there? 

On 7/3/2021 at 12:02 PM, Craig Sawyers said:

That is an expensive pot for sure. Mouser are expecting 8 of them in September for UKP729 (so about $1k)

I think I ended up using a DACT switched attenuator. The RK50 was just too hot for my pocket.

Indeed, way overpriced by now. In fact the almost only reason I decided to go with the RK50 is that it is still available in quad 50 ohm and 50 ohm is what the T2 was designed for. 

810€ at Mouser plus 20 VAT, makes up for stunning 972€ for a pot. 

Edited by starcat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, starcat said:

Indeed, way overpriced by now. In fact the almost only reason I decided to go with the RK50 is that it is still available in quad 50 ohm and 50 ohm is what the T2 was designed for.

50k not 50ohm

The Goldpoint V47 is an incredible attenuator, I prefer way more than DACT or RK50.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, sure kOhm (still in sailing mode, returning home tomorrow and back to amp building :-) 

I have a T2 PCB that accepts only the DACT or the RK50 with a pre-drilled front panel as well. So, "has" to be one of the two. 

John, what do you like on the Goldpoint V47 better? 

IMG_1991.thumb.jpeg.989199d0927dffb297271d4847da16cb.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see 

2 hours ago, starcat said:

Yeah, sure kOhm (still in sailing mode, returning home tomorrow and back to amp building 🙂

I have a T2 PCB that accepts only the DACT or the RK50 with a pre-drilled front panel as well. So, "has" to be one of the two. 

John, what do you like on the Goldpoint V47 better? 

 

Ok gotcha, DACT or RK50 only then.

The Goldpoint V47 is 47 steps vs DACT 24 steps. I also prefer the wafers with PCBs vs DACTs pinouts (not an issue with your T2 pcb though). Then channel matching on either DACT or Goldpoint would be better than the RK50 as well as a lot less money. The Goldpoint feels incredibly good quality not RK50 quality, but a lot better than the DACT from my experience. I’ve also had Kozmo’s as well and was not a fan, maybe quality has improved but not willing to gamble.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, starcat said:

Are you using all original transistors or modified boards with substitutes? 
Digital attenuator or analog pot in there? 

I've redesigned my own boards and using the RK50 typically.

1339659113_20210711_152140657_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.35ea14ff655786279072f4969f8a0945.jpg

I'm currently using C3675 (4x for the active batteries), KSA1156, C4685A (output CCS), FJPF2145, STN9360, J79, K216.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Kerry, for internal picture of and info about your T2. It’s always very inspiring see your work.

I assume the four small boards, one at each big tube, are CCS for the two LEDs on main board at respective output CCS. They must differ (schematically) from the original design, mustn’t they?  Do you mind tell us what the small boards look like?

Edited by JoaMat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2021 at 6:57 AM, JoaMat said:

Thanks Kerry, for internal picture of and info about your T2. It’s always very inspiring see your work.

I assume the four small boards, one at each big tube, are CCS for the two LEDs on main board at respective output CCS. They must differ (schematically) from the original design, mustn’t they?  Do you mind tell us what the small boards look like?

Yes.  It's the CCS for the LEDs that feed the the output CCS.  It's a simple cascaded DMOS with a cap on board.

1271691901_20210713_185305127_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.bb34d1e268d6e68b7498e4c1ad3fb786.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2011 at 11:44 PM, kevin gilmore said:

For the K216

Make an adapter that ties the gate pin to the source pin
which goes to the emitter pin in the socket, and the drain goes to the collector.

Then test as a NPN. The real ones test at 230 volts, The fakes test much less.

Kevin, does the same connection and testing procedure apply for the J79 as well?
Then testing as PNP of course. Thanks! @kevin gilmore

Edited by starcat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Then there is this http://www.tkd-corp.com/products/att/pdf/p65cs-e.pdf which is what Curl used in the Blowtorch. He used a stereo one, not four channel, because Blowtorch was not inherently a balanced preamp.

It is available in four channel, I have no idea of the price, but expect it to be substantial.

Then there is the Seiden 74005, 58 position 4 channel switch. You need to add resistors of course. That switch is Y47,000 direct from Seiden ($430, shipping, taxes etc on top). Depending on the resistor choice you could be back in RK50 territory or beyond.

Although the Seiden price list is 2012, that is the one that Seiden sent me in Feb 2020.

I have not tried either the TKD nor the Seiden, but at least considered the Seiden for another project (pending) that needs a really weird attenuation law.

SEIDEN.pdf PRICE_LIST_2012.10.pdf

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...