If you had a $1,000, or so, to spend and K-701 headphones

Frihed89

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or JH13 with GS-1 or GS-X instead, so you have a lower gain to play with, because the GL's is 6x (well, unless you get Justin to modify it or you know how to do it yourself). Or the AE-2 if you'd prefer to skate with something cheaper.

I used to think the Cayin HA-1A was pretty good with the K701, but if you'd prefer to buy American, there's only Woo Audio. :)

Look for used SP Platinum Extreme for no more than $500. Be sure to get pictures of its insides to verify its condition. Don't even think about getting anything but a Platinum Extreme. Though in your shoes I'd take Dan's (grawk) advice.

Edit: You also might want to take a look at the new Laconic amp that Craig Uthus (www.eddiecurrent.com) had at the recent NorCal meet.

If you like your K701, I wouldn't sell it. I've tried a lot of what's out there or, at least, what's worth using anyhow, and I still find it to be one of the best around. I haven't tried the JH13s so I don't know how great they are overall, but I guess I'm rather suspicious of the claim that they are roundly superior.

Aside from that, why a tube amplifier? What is your source?

Look for used SP Platinum Extreme for no more than $500. Be sure to get pictures of its insides to verify its condition. Don't even think about getting anything but a Platinum Extreme. Though in your shoes I'd take Dan's (grawk) advice.

I have an MPX3 Slam SE that seems to work fine, no power supply issues, but i have to check the PS caps. I prefer it to the made-to-explode Extreme.

If you like your K701, I wouldn't sell it. I've tried a lot of what's out there or, at least, what's worth using anyhow, and I still find it to be one of the best around. I haven't tried the JH13s so I don't know how great they are overall, but I guess I'm rather suspicious of the claim that they are roundly superior.

I have a custom made SS amp that i like a lot, and a MAD model and an MPX3 SE. I wanted to see what you guys recommended.....something new. I would really like an OPT coupled SET, but 300B, 45 or 2A3 would make it too expensive. I already have to worry about replacing two 300B WE in another amp.

I have a custom made SS amp that i like a lot, and a MAD model and an MPX3 SE. I wanted to see what you guys recommended.....something new. I would really like an OPT coupled SET, but 300B, 45 or 2A3 would make it too expensive. I already have to worry about replacing two 300B WE in another amp.

Source is Audio Note CD3.1 x/II CD player undergoing some surgery.