If you had a $1,000, or so, to spend and K-701 headphones

Frihed89

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention, I have a hearing disease and a tungsten prosthesis in each ear to replace the stapes. It doesn't react well to in-ear phones. It shifts everything up several registers.

$1000 Tube amp

I have a custom made SS amp that i like a lot, and a MAD model and an MPX3 SE. I wanted to see what you guys recommended.....something new. I would really like an OPT coupled SET, but 300B, 45 or 2A3 would make it too expensive. I already have to worry about replacing two 300B WE in another amp.

I have a custom made SS amp that i like a lot, and a MAD model and an MPX3 SE. I wanted to see what you guys recommended.....something new. I would really like an OPT coupled SET, but 300B, 45 or 2A3 would make it too expensive. I already have to worry about replacing two 300B WE in another amp.

Source is Audio Note CD3.1 x/II CD player undergoing some surgery.

Multi-quote, dude. Like I did just now. And unlike at Head-Fi it turns orange when selected so even a monkey can be trained to use it.

That's why I suggested Platinum Extreme (with the Plitron power transformer) instead of the cheaper, made-to-explode Extreme. I would think that the MPX3 Slam SE would do a fine job of driving K701. Are you looking for a different sound or just a back up in case your SP amp dies? You also could look at a variety of inexpensive Chinese tube amps. I have no experience with them so can't make a recommendation.

Damn! Talkin' trash to the newbie and slammin' The Monkey all in one post.

Self-correction: apparently the multi-quote at Head-Fi turns orange over there too, I just hadn't noticed earlier. So my bad. Also I wasn't referring to our one and only DAC-buying Monkey, just monkeys in general. :D

Before you buy another amp, if you have not already recabled them to a dual entry configuration, STOP: DO NOT PASS GO, get them recabled and then decide if you need a new amp.

Dual entry? You mean balanced?

I do not have a balanced output from my source or balanced inputs on any of my headamps. I do have dual channel volume control on all, of them because I have differential hearing loss.

Dual entry? You mean balanced?

I do not have a balanced output from my source or balanced inputs on any of my headamps. I do have dual channel volume control on all, of them because I have differential hearing loss.

Not necessarily balanced but wiring the headphone cables directly to each driver. This requires drilling a new entry hole in the left housing IIRC.

Simple question. Does your Black Dragon cable have a wire going to each side or just one side? If Drew wired them for you, then I am quite sure he wires them direct to each driver, unlike the stock K701 where the cable is connected on one side only and then there is an idiotically small wire on the inside of the cans going to the other driver.

So dual entry is considered superior sonically? I did not know this.

I don't get uneasy about it if the signal goes from one side to the other in a reasonably nice wire, but though the headband springs doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I had Drew do my Black Dragon dual entry. He says that just doing the dual entry, even with the same cable, helps a lot.