If you had a $1,000, or so, to spend and K-701 headphones

Frihed89

But seriously, use the multi-quote. You see those 3 buttons at the bottom of each post, the Quote, the paper and " +, and the paper and pen? You click the middle one with the quotation marks to add it to your "reply-to list" and then when you hit the Post Reply button at the bottom of each page on the left side, they'll all show up.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But seriously, use the multi-quote. You see those 3 buttons at the bottom of each post, the Quote, the paper and " +, and the paper and pen? You click the middle one with the quotation marks to add it to your "reply-to list" and then when you hit the Post Reply button at the bottom of each page on the left side, they'll all show up.

How

Do

You

make

That

Work?

Let's get back to the amp. I have an MPX3 Slam SE and have a ton of different tubes. I haven't had any problems, yet, and am working with other headfiers to identify any potential problems. One problem is that SP never made two of these the same way....

Hopefully, it will continue to work. I also have the MAD Ear+, which sits by my bed, and then there is the custom Blue Circle combination head amp and preamp that I have just updated with the latest opamp output stages (2 of them) and a large variable impedance capacitor pack that stores and smoothes the DC voltage from the seperate power supply. (There are 3 units in all). Evn though it does not have a discrete output stage, it is very quiet, very transparent, smooth and balanced, plus it has the BC "touch", but it only has one voice, as opposed to many, many MPX3 voices with all the tubes.

Why would I want another amp? Well, I was thinking of giving the EAR+ to my stepson and I wanted a new tube amp, but I also wanted one that I could upgrade and which I could roll tubes with and which might use the 6SN7GT in some position (as I have many of these).

So, the Trafo-matic is out. The sonnet is out. I don't care for the limited tube selection in the Woo 6 amps, and so on.....I still haven't found the amp I am looking for. But I thank everyone for their input so far.

You know, it's funny that nobody here has mentioned it yet, but here at Head-Case we've had a fantastic discovery. Now we are a little bit secretive about it, so don't go telling non members about it please.

OK, here's what you do...Take your headphones, in your case the AKG K701 (the K701 really is a great headphone for this discovery BTW), cut off the existing TRS phono plug at the end of the cable. Now stay with me here and follow my instructions to the tee, or this won't work properly. Strip about 5 inches of bare wire from the end of the cable (all three or four wires, depending on your specific cable). Now here's where you need to follow the instructions very carefully...PLACE THE HEADPHONES ON YOUR HEAD BEFORE MOVING TO THE NEXT STEP!

Now here's where there's a little discrepency between members, some say to place the wires directly into your homes electrical outlet at this point, but I prefer the sound quality from method #2...Take all the bare wires and twist them together. Are you done twisting the wires? OK, now take the bare wires with a little bit of Crisco (trademarked) and slide them as far up your ass as you can get them.

No, farther than that, you can do it!

Now fart!

My partial hit the keyboard so hard it knocked the h key loose. I'm listening to some smooth jazz while i'm reading so it's all the better LOL. Disturbing images.

Don't see people talk about Crisco much anymore.

Well thanks everyone for the input.

I do have one last question in case anyone has heard a 300B or any other DHT headphone amp. Did it have the same kind of "involving" sound that is typically associated with DHTs used in speaker amps?

That's actually what I am looking for...in terms of sound. I know: more than $1000!

Thanks to all.

• 4 weeks later...

Pffft, your mama is incorrect after I did her last night.

Which DV did you pair with K701, Dusty?
I didn't, it was at a meet (the DanJam that was in Gaithersburg, and I don't think it was called DanJam yet). I think Juan also heard and liked this combination, as well as whoever brought it, of course.

Also, I didn't realize there was more than one -- there's more than one?

PS WTF, the Darkvoice website might harm my computer?

Edited by Dusty Chalk

You got that backwards. The extremes burn up. Either the transformer, the

resistor, or both. They don't explode. Nothing running over voltage that would

get them to explode.

Its the high voltage mpx things with the 400 volt caps running at over 500 that

might go boom. Although none have gone boom yet. Older mpx units with the

fet still soldered to the main board will also burn up.