Apple Tablet

If it carries a monthly fee it's a 100% no go and I think will be for lots of folks. I'm really hoping that they've signed up enough content providers to provide whispernet-like "free" internet access and it'd damn well better have integrated wifi. I have no interest in another ~$30/mo data plan for something that will sit on my own wireless network for a good portion of the time.

I guess it'll be interesting to see what they release tomorrow for details.

Hopefully we'll also see a iPhone + iPad data bundle, where you can link both devices to a single account.

Yes indeedy do.

If it carries a monthly fee it's a 100% no go and I think will be for lots of folks. I'm really hoping that they've signed up enough content providers to provide whispernet-like "free" internet access and it'd damn well better have integrated wifi. I have no interest in another ~$30/mo data plan for something that will sit on my own wireless network for a good portion of the time.

I guess it'll be interesting to see what they release tomorrow for details.

I agree, I do not really want a plan as this will be used at home and at the University 95% of the time and so it will be connected via Wi-Fi. No Wi-Fi = No-Go for me also.

I may be hoping for too much but I'd love for it to be able to act as a display for my mac mini just to control itunes for the most part. While remote/rowmote are ok I prefer something that can give me the itunes graphic interface.

I am in regardless, but if it has that feature that would be great. Using the MacBook Pro for that now but a slick little tablet to do that and search the web from my listening chair would be appealing.

if the itablet doubles as an external display/touch screen for other devices, I'm in.

Maybe that's why Apple's been so keen on pushing Mini DisplayPort to an unwilling public for a while now.

The tablet will definitely have wi-fi, hopefully 802.11n, as well as 3G; it'll just be more expensive to buy if you don't plan to use cellular data since it won't be carrier subsidized in that case.

i can just imagine the sneer on jobs' face as he throws a newton at the audience: "here's your tablet, now fuck off."

Oh man, that would be awesome.

I'm hoping it can act as an extension from a desktop. I don't really need a laptop around work... but the iPhone is a poor substitute for getting more complex tasks done. A tablet that can sync back to a Mac or a PC, would be great. I can't tell you how many meetings I go to and wish I had something smaller than a laptop to use for light note taking, PDF/document viewing/project management stuff.

I can't tell you how many meetings I go to and wish I had something smaller than a laptop to use for light note taking, PDF/document viewing/project management stuff.

This was the niche that netbooks were supposed to fill. But instead of becoming serious business machines, they seem to have gone the way of getting mom and dad on the intrablogweb.

While I'm certainly no Apple fan, it is something I would like to see happen.

I'm gonna go ahead and post my prediction just in case, on the very unlikely possibility of me being right. While I think they are going to introduce some sort of flat tablety device, I don't think it will be called the iSlate or the iTablet. I think this is going to be the new Macbook.

I know, I know, but hear me out.

Right now Apple has a strong laptop line with the MacBook Pro. 13, 15 and 17 inch models. The MacBook line was gutted during the last update. While the current MacBook sits just below the $1000 mark, the low end 13" MacBook Pro isn't far off at $1199. It could easily go to $1099 with $999 education pricing. The MacBook is one of their best brands and yet, they only have one model that's pretty close to the 13 MacBook Pro spec-wise and they eliminated the black option. That looks like they are clearing out that channel.

So the new device is actually a MacBook and the iSlate or iTablet thing people are hearing about is really software run on said MacBook for handwriting recognition or touch interface interpretation.

Either that or they drop the MacBook entirely and replace it with this new thing. But their product lines don't seem to need another "thing." The iPod/iPhone line is full with options. Their computer line is full too. Tech folks have been saying it's got to be either a laptop/netbook replacement or a new category of product... I think it might be both.

Anyway... at least that's what I want. It's fun to pretend.

I think the question boils down to this -- will it come from the iTouch route, wherein you can only technically get software on it via the App Store? Or is it going to be a "real" mac, with a CD drive? I.E. is it going to be the main computer, or an accessory? The iTouch -- although it has a variant of the same operating system -- is conceptually an accessory.

I'm thinking I should probably read that engadget/gizmodo/whatever article, it probably approaches all these questions.

I'd be fine with it being an accessory with iphone style app store. And I'd love love love it if it uses the minidisplayport as an input to act as a 2nd display or small primary display with touch screen for other macs. So that's my prediction: tablet, touch screen, minidisplay port to be an accessory to other macs while running a variant on iphone os.

I don't want to buy 3G wireless on an Apple tablet. We have a Verizon MiFi 2200 wifi EVDO broadband connection for our 2 iPhones and several Macbooks, and I would use WiFi to connect the tablet to internet. We actually use Verizon for our family plan because reception is better, and I only wanted the iPhone for music, games and surfing. I previously used a Verizon Win mobile PDA phone and an iPod Touch; but I canceled the PDA data plan and got a VZW flip phone + iPhone instead. The plan all along has been to ditch the ATT iPhone and get one on VZW as soon as they have them.

The tablet may not do it for me, as it would be too big to replace the iPhone as my daily iPod, although it could replace the nook my wife gave me for Xmas. But I definitely don't need a $1000 tablet. A $600 tablet might convince me to switch from iPhone 3GS > Tablet + 5G Nano, but not if I have to pay for 3G tablet data plan on top of our MiFi data plan. My wife and kids would be very unhappy with me if they couldn't use the MiFi when we travel. The other iPhone is for my wife's work instead of blackberry, so that would likely stay.

I don't want to buy 3G wireless on an Apple tablet. We have a Verizon MiFi 2200 wifi EVDO broadband connection for our 2 iPhones and several Macbooks, and I would use WiFi to connect the tablet to internet. We actually use Verizon for our family plan because reception is better, and I only wanted the iPhone for music, games and surfing. I previously used a Verizon Win mobile PDA phone and an iPod Touch; but I canceled the PDA data plan and got a VZW flip phone + iPhone instead. The plan all along has been to ditch the ATT iPhone and get one on VZW as soon as they have them.

The tablet may not do it for me, as it would be too big to replace the iPhone as my daily iPod, although it could replace the nook my wife gave me for Xmas. But I definitely don't need a $1000 tablet. A $600 tablet might convince me to switch from iPhone 3GS > Tablet + 5G Nano, but not if I have to pay for 3G tablet data plan on top of our MiFi data plan. My wife and kids would be very unhappy with me if they couldn't use the MiFi when we travel. The other iPhone is for my wife's work instead of blackberry, so that would likely stay.

GiveAFlipMeter2.gif.

McGraw-Hill CEO Confirms Apple Tablet, iPhone OS Based, Going to Be "Terrific" - Mac Forums

In an interview with CNBC, McGraw-Hill's CEO confirms that their textbooks will be on the Apple Tablet and it will be an iPhone OS based machine. When asked about their textbooks being on the Apple tablet, Terry MrGraw responds (2m 50s):

Article Link: McGraw-Hill CEO Confirms Apple Tablet, iPhone OS Based, Going to Be "Terrific"

That must be some of that constructive critisizm that I've been hearing about here.

hint.

1000$ for a glorified netbook seems a bit over-the-top, even in Apple land, unless it has incredible specs or some revolutionary concept. My guess would be 500-600$ without contract, but we'll find out the truth tomorrow.

I think the revolutionary concept is it won't be a glorified netbook. ;)

Edited by blessingx