Apple Tablet

The other thing that seems clear is that Apple is staying with AT&T for the long haul. I imagine the discounted iPad data plans were part of the price of getting an extension on the iPhone exclusive. Apple also must be very sure that AT&T really can get their 3G network up to scratch in the medium term, because if the iPhones were crushing it on their own...

And this new processor looks really, really fast. I hope it's going to go into the next iPhone, too!

Edited by Hopstretch

Fair points, but then it feels premature. It doesn't seem revolutionary, but rather evolutionary, which I always thought Jobs didn't want for this device. I can see the potential, but I expected more of that potential to be realized today. Perhaps, however, the glory of this device will be in what now appears to me to be its mundaneness.

Perhaps, however, the glory of this device will be in what now appears to me to be its mundaneness.

That's nicely put. I think these sort of slates are going to turn out to be ubiquitous in a little while, not as computers per se but as networked content-delivery devices. Apple gets first (serious) mover advantage, plus the ability to lock even more users into the broader iTunes ecosystem.

I'm pretty sure Apple's wet dream of the future is a household with an iMac, iPad and a couple of iPhones.

plus the ability to lock even more users into the broader iTunes ecosystem.

This is part of what scares me. Since this is yet another device that requires syncing to get a lot of its content it'd better be able to sync with multiple computers running the same fracking itunes account or that'll be a big strike in my book.

x2. I was really hoping it would run OS X, instead of an extended iPhone/Touch OS. Then it would be more of a stand-alone computer, instead of another "net appliance".

I think the only thing that really needs to be carried over is multitasking. Then the iPad would be quite revolutionary. Perhaps the processor can't handle excessive amounts of multitasking, or perhaps Apple just hasn't developed the software into the iPhone OS yet.

The small drive space kind of sucks too, but that's where SSD is right now. Sort of.

This is part of what scares me. Since this is yet another device that requires syncing to get a lot of its content it'd better be able to sync with multiple computers running the same fracking itunes account or that'll be a big strike in my book.

Itunes Home sharing covers that pretty well now. You can move stuff between different computers signed in to the same itunes account on your home network easily.

Itunes Home sharing covers that pretty well now. You can move stuff between different computers signed in to the same itunes account on your home network easily.

That's not at all what I'm talking about. I want something that I can use at work and at home, and work with content on both machines. Otherwise if I sync at home, but download a audiobook, podcast, whatever at work I can't load it onto any apple device. That's maddening in my book.

I would buy one if it had a digitizer pen option, but without that, I really have no use for one (already owning a Macbook Pro, slate tablet pc, Kindle DX and Palm Pre).

I do think it a great machine for the average consumer who just surfs the web, checks email and perhaps types up a term paper or two. Certainly seems to be a netbook killer.

I just hope that Apple doesn't stop producing ``real'' computers.

I'm wondering how long ago it was that Apple started allowing syncing photos with one computer but music with another? I have been syncing a 4GB Nano to my Macbook for a while, but the other day I plugged it into the iMac to put music on it for my daughter to use, and iTunes on iMac gave me the option to keep the photos from my Macbook on the Nano.

So, that made me wonder - what if you set iTunes sync for manual syncing and you drag music and videos over to the iPod (iPad) with one computer, and then plug into another computer - can you drag over more music and videos onto the device or does it want to know if you want to sync with the new computer? I'll have to try this later, or do a search, or both.

There is one work around I have used for putting music or video on the iPhone or Touch that is on a different computer than the one I am sync'd with - I use Air Sharing Pro. With Air Sharing I can mount the iPhone as a flash drive on any of our Macs, and then to copy the files over to the iPhone. On the iPhone I can launch the app and play the music or videos, although only one at a time and not in iTunes.

On a different note, I'm happy to see the lower price points and not being forced into needing 3G data account. I do think people should be able to tether it to the internet over BT (or USB/WiFi) to a normal cell phone and iPhone, but I'm pretty sure because of the $29 3G option they will block using another 3G connection, except for the WiFi routers that cost 2x as much for data.

And Shellyh - see this Amazon.com: Ten One Design's Pogo Sketch Stylus Pen (Silver) for Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3G s, iPod Touch 2nd Gen and Blackberry 9500, 9530 Strom, 9550 Strom2, 9630 Tour, 9700 Bold, Motorola Droid A855: Cell Phones & Service

or, since out of stock http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110449489100&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=efdfd0261170a043a231c321fffb7a76&itemid=110449489100&ff4=263602_263622

Regarding being locked into AT+T - I've read a couple of places that the iPad is 'unlocked'. But can't find anywhere at what frequencies the built-in 3G receiver operates. I wonder if one could either insert a T-Mo (micro?) or other network's SIM card and have the 3G receiver work, or if one could use the built-in dock or Bluetooth to tether to a Blackberry?

Here is a link to the patent supposedly covering aspects of the i-pad: http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat7653883.pdf

The claims look broad. Can anyone think of other products on the market that read on this claim?

1. An I/O platform, comprising:

an I/O surface having one or more integrated I/O devices selected from input devices and output devices;

a proximity detection system configured to: detect when a finger is in close proximity to but not contacting the I/O surface;

detect a position of the finger above the I/O surface when the finger is detected in close proximity to but not contacting the I/O surface;

select, based on an application appearing on the I/O surface when the finger is detected in close proximity to the I/O surface but independent of x and y components of the position of the finger over the application, a first graphical user interface element from a plurality of available graphical user interface elements operable to allow input to be provided at least by movement of the finger when the finger is detected in close proximity to but not contacting the I/O surface;

display the first graphical user interface element on the I/O surface and below the finger; and

detect a proximity gesture performed by the movement of the finger above the first displayed graphical user interface element.

End of claim.

Here is an article relating to the patent: Apple wins patent for "proximity sensing" multi-touch display - Network World