Apple Tablet

They restrict the file size? Is this something you've seen downloading something via safari or from an App? If it's from an App this is very likely limited by the developer because Apple rejects apps for using too much bandwidth. So the way around that is to limit download file size on 3G and keep it unlimited on wifi.

Yes, if you go to your list of podcasts and select "get more episodes" it'll connect you to what I think is the iTunes store and when you try to download an episode it gives you the following message:

4213467757_d0457214cc_o.jpg

I have a question regarding data service - since all of the "3G" models are being sold unlocked what needs to be done to activate it on another network? It supports the following, which to my dumbness implies that it might be able to grab other providers 3G or at least Edge service.

Wi-Fi + 3G model

* UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

* GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

* Data only2

* Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

It won't bug me to pay for added functionality in an iPad app if it really takes advantage of the extra capacities of the device. But Apple's been clear that they're not going to let people charge for straight "ports".

Oh no, I didn't mean straight ports... but a developer could leave their first app as is and develop a V.2 app with added functionality... much like Tweetie did. Personally, I think that's fine. The furvor over developers wanting to get paid for a separate V.2 app that adds functionality is idiotic... these things don't just make themselves.

It seemed awkward that Apple forced developers to provide free updates for the life of the app... at least initially. That can be overcome with in-app purchasing I suppose now or a new V.x app.

I have a question regarding data service - since all of the "3G" models are being sold unlocked what needs to be done to activate it on another network? It supports the following, which to my dumbness implies that it might be able to grab other providers 3G or at least Edge service.

Wi-Fi + 3G model

* Data only2

* Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

The other network must support micro-SIM cards and must use one of those bands. I believe that rules T-Mobile 3G (1700 MHz) out in the US, though you could get their EDGE.

Edited by Hopstretch

While HTML5 is promising, the short article is right. HTML5 isn't there yet... near future yes, but for Apple to address the "now" would be nice, no?

I know I'm coming off as an Apple apologist, and post-Macromedia I've had little care for Adobe, but with YouTube and Vimeo public beta testing HTML5, I wonder how far off the future is (at least in respect to video)?

EDIT: Fittingly the above rant killed my browser. ;)

Edited by blessingx

Here's a little graphic that I cooked up to help understand how much letter boxing you're going to get watching 16:9 HDTV content (blue), or 1.85:1 (red) and 2.35:1 (yellow) movies. At 16:9 it's not bad, but I think movies are going to make you think you're wasting a lot of screen.

n_maher-albums-random-stuff-picture2528-ipad-ltrbox.jpg

so will my 3D glasses work with Avatar on this thing or what?

is there anything stopping hulu, or netflix, or anyone else, from creating apps specifically for the iPad and iPhone?

There was supposedly a "badass" hulu app for the iphone which, presumably, would have to work on this thing. It was announced last April, but never came out. Presumably because Hulu wants to put some kind of subscription model in place before it does this. Here's an article about it: Where's That 'Badass' Hulu iPhone App?

is there anything stopping hulu, or netflix, or anyone else, from creating apps specifically for the iPad and iPhone?

I would guess not but wouldn't they have to translate the content into some other format in order for it to be digestible on the i-platform?

Yep. Apple convinced Google to create mp4 compatible versions for their mobile devices, but even if Hulu, etc. uses compatible formats, their compression settings may (likely?) not be compatible. Maybe with iPod touch, iPhone and iPad there's an incentive for all the work in new versions.

It's the old question - small file size, high quality or device compatibility. Pick two.

I know I'm coming off as an Apple apologist, and post-Macromedia I've had little care for Adobe, but with YouTube and Vimeo public beta testing HTML5, I wonder how far off the future is (at least in respect to video)?

EDIT: Fittingly the above rant killed my browser. ;)

I think the basic specs for HTML5 have been finalized? And as of now, only Chrome and Safari can utilize it, with FF 4 coming on board whenever it releases sometime this year I think. Same goes for IE 9 whenever that comes out. But to answer your perhaps rhetorical question, I hope the future is soon (maybe 1-2 years?) but it would probably depend heavily on the big players pushing for development in this arena.

Wi-Fi + 3G model

* Data only2

* Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

I wonder the same since I am on Tmo. I know att and tmo both use GSM and you can swap SIM cards, unless one of the companies goes out of its way to block them (which they do). Here are the specs for the Tmo Bold 3g off Cnet's site:

WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Sure seems like it should work, plus why go out of your way to say 'all iPads are unlocked' unless there was a reason to? I sent off an email to a friend who might know more ...