Apple Tablet

lack of retina display makes it a no go for me. i got the first version for my mom and while its nice, it is far too slow. screen could be improved a bit as well.

anyone know how much ram the new one has? i think if it were a bit more than the first gen they probably would have advertised the shit out of it like they have with the twice as fast processor and the 9 times better graphics. i am scared that they either kept the ram the same amount or increased it a wee bit and offloaded all the grunt to the processor. which doesnt help matters much.

is there any tablet that allows for instance, hc chat to be open and then go to another app and then go back to the hc chat without it closing (and me having to re-sign in). thats pretty much the biggest reason i didnt get an ipad (1st gen) for myself.

If lack of a 2048x1536 10" display is a deal killer in a $500 device, then good luck finding the device you want. Good luck finding that resolution on any display <20", for that matter, at any price.

I sold my 64/3g today, so as soon as I can order the ipad2, I'm ordering...

Dusty, is this for video playback/matching or simply more pixels? Or recalling a recent conversion, why think 1080p is a target?

Yes (i.e., both -- I wanted a bit more real estate, and a bit more pixel density).

And: I don't. I think they're eventually going to shoot past it. I look forward to the day when we look back on what will then be referred to as low resolution displays and 16/44.1 audio in the same way that we now look back on 8-bit audio and ASCII terminals. It's just a matter of time. And Apple will have led the way...I think. (The high-res downloads thing and the retina display. Not necessarily first, obviously, but they will be the ones who will have brought it to the mainstream.)

Also, I don't need one (an iPad)...at all. I just got a laptop, and that will be fine.

Dan -- my laptop is 1080p and 15.6"...

Apple emailed me to let me know I could come to their store and buy one at 5pm friday. No reservations, no preorders this time. They want a big splash this time...

I need to find out when my daughter gets home from her cruise. She's getting mine if I get the new one so I she should be agreeable to getting in line for me on Friday.

I'd love an iPad 2 but decided that I needed a new stand alone camera more than I needed an iPad with a built-in camera. I enjoyed the thrill of getting my WiFi and my 3G iPads on their 1st days out, but this new model will probably have to wait. I'll try to live vicariously through others this time, if my will power holds out.