Apple Tablet

• 3 weeks later...

Went into the Apple store after work and it was packed with not one, but two queues for the iPad.

Went into a local Softbank Mobile store at their closing time (they close an hour before leaving to take care of final customers) and I was the first customer to buy an iPad that day! My dodgy Japanese held up. I just told them I'd recently bought an iPhone 4 and I understood all the paperwork, just tell me where to sign. I think the girl behind the counter, fearing having to explain everything in English to a foreigner at closing time, was as relieved as I was when I said that. It probably doesn't help that tomorrow is the start of the Golden Week holiday, which is equivalent to XMas/NY in a Western country for its length -- up to 10 days for some people.

Edited by Currawong

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa. Now is that more like a portable NAS with it's own IP address that communicates directly to your iPad, or does it piggyback off of your current router and communicates to the iPad that way? The reason I ask is will you be able to stream from the hard drive and stay connected to your current wifi, in the event you are doing AirPlay with an express or appletv?

Sorry, next time I should read both links before posting. It appears you essentially connect directly to the devices discrete wifi network/IP, which means you are disconnected from your current router, which means you won't be able to stream through AirPlay. Unless the drive is able to operate as a network extender or piggyback off of your current wifi router. Please correct me if I am not conceptualizing this correctly.

That's how I'm reading it and maybe why they're stressing video (when you're unlikely to be doing other tasks including surfing). We'll have to see how the network is handled. Still with iPads USB digital audio out this could be a decent solution over some of the crazy setups to get digital audio out of iPhone.

Ooooh...just had a thought. Would a squeezebox classic or touch be able to communicate with the seagate mobile drive? I am wondering If the files on the drive can only be accessed by the app. I am not familiar with the costs of your typical NAS device so it may make more sense just going with a NAS but a portable drive that can stream to iPad and possibly be accessed by other streaming devices for $199.99 500 gb seems intriguing.

So if anyone is looking for a nice leather case that protects your entire iPad 2, I can certainly recommend the YooBao Case V2. I have been using it for about a month now and it works great. It is well constructed and really does not add much bulk. Plus it costs a bunch less than the Apple Leather case.

Edited by morphsci

So if anyone is looking for a nice leather case that protects your entire iPad 2, I can certainly recommend the YooBao Case V2. I have been using it for about a month now and it works great. It is well constructed and really does not add much bulk. Plus it costs a bunch less than the Apple Leather case.

I have the case too, and am happy with it. I just wish it hadn't taken over 3 weeks to arrive, as I dented my iPad2 the very day before it arrived.

• 2 weeks later...