Apple Tablet

• 2 weeks later...

My dad just purchased an iPad 2 and he's looking for a case, ideally with screen and back protection, light, not too expensive. Any suggestions? I'm counting on Larry, who's our designated HC iPad case tester. ;)

I have and really like the Yoobao leather case. No screen protection but you can get one of those clingy things that I hate. Sorry I have not dropped my cased iPad or made it jump off my nightstand.

I have the Yoobao case as well, and it came with a screen protector film that I am using right now. I think maybe they threw in the protector free because shipment was delayed for a re-design from V1 (still smudges with fingerprints). The case does a decent job protecting the iPad2 like the Apple case did for iPad 1, but I still have a couple of very minor dings in the corners from dropping it while juggling iPad2 with my cane and other items (when my hands are full why can't I drop the other stuff and not the iPad2).

It's $44 from here Yoobao case I have the V2 which fixed the sleep issue when folding the cover under the back, but the V3 has a magnet that also holds the case closed.

I'd also consider the G-Form Portfolio if you don't need something thin and small, but it's not cheap.

Yoobao case is pretty much what I wanted, I think we'll go with that one. The G-Form Portfolio looks heavy duty, but I really doubt my dad will attempt to do skateboarding or mountain climbing with his iPad. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

So, what could make the iPad2 screen go nuts today, seemingly on it's own after working fine this morning?

ipad2screen.jpg

A reboot into safe mode made no difference, and a power off or a home-sleep button re-boot had no effect either. After 30 minutes of this I was going to back it up, and remove the three jailbreak apps I have (SBSettings, backgrounder and My3G), and possibly restore it to factory - but I hadn't changed anything since the iPad2 jailbreak came out a few weeks ago when I installed these.

Then, as I typed this, after 30 minutes of funny shimmering-pixelated altered-colors on the screen, it slowly morphed back into a normal appearance. Now I can't make it act up again. WAIT!!! Yes I can, if press on the back gently then the screen get's all screwed up, and after a while it reverts back to normal. I'm going to show this to the Apple Store now.

Crap - it just occurred to me that if they replace the iPad then I wont be able to jailbreak it if it comes with 4.3.4 on it. And if the replacement comes with 4.3.3 on it then I'd still have to find that special app out there that can strip the SHSH blob out of it, so that if I wanted to re-install 4.3.3 then I could. That would still be preferable.

However, the Genius Bar is booked full until tomorrow.

UPDATE - I found that it wasn't my squeezing the case and screen together that was causing the screen to fritz out, it was a gentle prolonged press and hold on the upper left screen that was doing it, i.e. software.

I removed all the jailbreak stuff and re-booted and it's all better now. It might have been related to SBSettings.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Well, we have two jail-broken iPhone 4 and three jail-broken 3GS that have been jail-broken for a year and half, and the iPad1 has been jail-broken for almost a year, and we've never had an issue like this.

I am usually very conservative with what Cydia store apps I install, and only had 4 installed when this happened. I think the jail-break was contaminated a couple of weeks ago when I installed "Snappy" on day 1 (which had crashed and screwed up the display in a different way and was removed right away). Removing SBSettings and Activator today seems to be what was needed to kill all the remaining code from Snappy that was messed up and not cleared out.

Snappy works great on my iPhone 4 to launch the camera from the lock screen by pressing and holding on the status bar clock. On the iPad2 the Snappy screen was on the top right quarter of the screen, and it had also reset the springboard to only hold 12 icons instead of 16, and moved the password entry box to the top left of the screen. It never did anything like this to the screen though. It's not doing it anymore either.

And none of those reasons would save me enough time to make up for all the wasted time I would have spent trying to figure out why my iPad was fucking up, not to mention the time lost actually being able to use the iPad for something productive.

And none of those reasons would save me enough time to make up for all the wasted time I would have spent trying to figure out why my iPad was fucking up, not to mention the time lost actually being able to use the iPad for something productive.

Yeah, it did take me 6 hours to sort it out, but it was an interesting challenge to occupy my time on a weekend.