Apple Tablet

I went to the apple store to check out the new ipad. Took my good for nothing son with me. He bought the 64 wifi iPad and all i got was the opportunity to drive him there. I should have my medical bills paid off in time for the iPad 4. nate.gif

Well, after a week with the 3rd Gen iPad I still think the iPad 2 is great, and moving up to the 3rd Gen isn't such a huge move, although I still like it a lot. It was a great 50th birthday present.

We have HSPDA+ here but not LTE, so I'm not seeing any data speed increases. If anything, I get 1-2 bars of 3G signal where the iPad 2 gets 3-4 bars. And while the screen is nicer there is really nothing wrong with the screen on the earlier models. I thought the step up from the original iPad to the iPad 2 was bigger at the time, as there was a noticeable improvement in thickness/weight and speed, along with the addition of the camera for FaceTime (never really used it for photos). The iPad 3 camera is a bit nicer, but I still find myself grabbing my iPhone 4S for photos more.

My wife got my iPad 2 and she offered her old 64GB AT&T iPad 1 to our daughter to take to college, but she'd rather sell it to get a new Macbook Pro to replace her old white Macbook. That probably makes the most sense, but I'd even be happy with the original iPad than no iPad at all, since I find the iPhone screen too hard to read with web sites (using 50 year old eyes).

So all you guys with older iPads, don't feel bad because you still have a great product.

Because of my situation (newborn) I'm likely skipping the new iPad - rarely have both hands free - but I'd probably be all over this.
Actually, I found the iPad to be the perfect midnight companion while dealing with he-who-doesn't-sleep. With the smart cover I'd simply have the iPad sitting on a pillow next to me on the low incline and I could manipulate it with one hand while feeding jr or just letting him rest on me. He and I probably watched 4 or 5 Top Gear series among other things over last summer when thnigs were really bad (from a sleep perspective). It would have been impossible to do the same with a laptop and the TV produces way too much light/distraction to have on.

[edit]your link doesn't work for me but that could be my fault.

The most in-depth new iPad review so far: http://www.anandtech...pad-2012-review

TL:DR types can skip to the "Final Words" conclusion, but really the entire review is worth reading.

Really amazing review! I love how these guys go into sooo much more depth than any other reviewers out there who rehash the same stuff over and over again. Arstechnica used to be the same way but they've gotten pretty sloppy/generic with their reviews lately.

To me the most interesting part was the whole 5-10 pages of CPU / GPU discussion and how it compares to other tablets out there.

To me the most interesting part was the whole 5-10 pages of CPU / GPU discussion and how it compares to other tablets out there.

Totally agreed. Because they know the hardware and the state of the hardware industry they can be so much more informative about both what is inside the tablet and also about whats coming down the pipeline in the next 6/12/18 months.

Now if only Apple would send them advance review units like they do for everyone else, they might be able to turn around the review a little sooner. I can't see why Apple wouldn't. Apple's products tend to be very well engineered and the Anandtech reviews call attention to that.