Apple Tablet

The rumor is $329 to start which seemed a little high for me considering the competition. It's screen is larger and if it's retina, I guess it's worth the extra. I am either getting one of these or a kindle fire 7" for my son for his birthday. He apparently likes to read now, 10 books since the end of the summer.

I have an MBA and I think there may have been one occasion in the year plus I've owned it that I wanted a disc drive. I ended up buying a superdrive and never use it. ymmv.

$329 seemed high when I first read it on macrumors. With the A6 processor and the screen size, it seems to me to justify the higher price compared to a Kindle Fire 2 16 GB wifi at $200. I really did not want to spend more than $200 for Jasen's b'day present but may do it anyway.

It's fairly obvious why they refreshed the retina iPad and I don't think it has a whole lot to do with the new connector.

Think of what else launches on Friday, the same day that 4gen and mini iPad preorders begin. I doubt Apple's choice of a date was a coincidence.

I also am skeptical that there is much pent-up demand for a faster retina-Pad. More likely, they don't want the retina-pad getting trounced in the upcoming comparisons in the surface reviews.

Probably the most dissapointing Apple launch day I can remember, and this coming form an retina-pad and iPhone 5 owner so it's not like I don't drink the kool-aid.

Edited by TMoney

Wasn't even the most disappointing Apple launch day of the last couple of months for me.

Do find it a bit sneaky, though probably marketing 101, that Apple uses ppi when it's to its advantage and screen size when that's the plus.

Still will be curious to see/handle iPad mini and new MBP in real-life.