Apple Tablet

^^^ This. After numerous in computer drive failures ( all PCs at the time) I went external and never looked back. My main ripping drive is an external LG that is going on 4 years with no trouble. Has connected flawlessly to every Mac and PC I have thrown at it. Internal optical drives are so 20th century.

^^^ Yarp.

I just compare the amount of time I interact with the optical drive in my iMac with vs the time I sit in front of the computer not interacting with the drive and I'd choose fewer moving parts and the nicer form factor every time.

I install most of my software via download and rip CDs etc. on my (fugly) PC anyway.

Well, I'm pretty upset with Apple about the new iMac, because I do use an optical drive a lot to I rip all my new CDs into lossless and rip my DVD movies into iTunes. Maybe it's good to omit stuff to lighten up a portable, although it's been a pain in the ass with my retina MBP. But I see ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT from a thinner iMac with no optical when it still uses up the same amount of desk space as before. I want to write to Tim Cook with HEY APPLE, IT'S A FREAKING DESKTOP COMPUTER, WTF?

I've been dying to upgrade my 2006 iMac since January, but we held out for an update due in May, and waited and waited, and now I wish I'd had spent the last 9 months using a better Mac. But at this point I'm not buying an 18 month old iMac design, so Apple has me by the balls. Fricking stupid SuperDrive hanging off the back and all. Bastards.

I was hoping it would help, but ranting about it doesn't make me feel any better.

let me know if you decide to sell your old iMac, i know you're very picky about the condition of your Apple gear

let me know if you decide to sell your old iMac, i know you're very picky about the condition of your Apple gear

I'll let you know - this one is in very good condition cosmetically and functionally, although the keyboard and mouse need to be cleaned up. It's a 20" with a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo and maxed at 3GB RAM, and has a 500GB 7200 RPM HD. I'm pretty sure it will be replaced with a new model next month, because I want to have multiple users logged in at the same time while running a few music servers in the background.

So, who is staying up late tonight to order an iPad mini? We've got a 1st 2nd and 3rd Gen iPad all with cellular, so we aren't really in the market, but I thought about snatching up a mini to replace the 1st Gen iPad. Not sure we need it though. I almost like the idea of being stuck with iOS 5.1.1 so we can't lose Google Maps.

I did not successfully resist purchasing the mini ipad today. My silver 32gb verizon ipad mini should be at my house in mid november.

I do like the idea of an iPad weighing half that of the retina iPad and being easier to tote around, while also easier to read than a tiny 4" iPhone 5 screen. It's still to hard for me to read the screen when I'm surfing the web on the iPhone 5. So, I guess resistance really is futile. I got up at 6AM and after 20 minutes of putting one in my shopping cart, and removing it, and putting it back, and removing it several times I ended pulling the trigger on a slate 64GB AT&T iPad mini. Sigh...