Apple Tablet

at RMAF I had multiple people come up to me and hand me a USB stick with the music they wanted to hear. with my iPad, can't do it. maybe there's a way to do it with the camera connection kit, never tried.

Never tired it myself but this is a potential solution.

http://www.hypershop.../iusb-black.htm

Edited by Cankin

I played with one in the Apple Store today, and I love the lesser size and weight, but it REALLY needed a retina display. I've been spoiled with my iPad 3, and when surfing the web and doing emails the mini looks too pixelated to me. I know 163 dpi is supposed to be about 20% better than iPad 2, but it didnt feel that way all the time especially with very small text on websites. I'm sure I could get used to it over time, but now not so sure I want to.

For those of you with iPad 2/3/4, any particular case you guys like? I'm looking for something that provides good protection (may get handled by a toddler) with screen protection (assuming it doesn't interfere too much with the display viewing). I tried searching through the thread, but the search function is being weird on work computer.

So I just purchased my first iPad. I bought a used 1st gen, as I'm planning on using it exclusively with my Cambridge iD100, for music playback. Got it real cheap and thought the large screen might be easier to read and navigate. Is there a way to increase the storage (64 gb) for my iTunes library? I've heard it's not as easy as plugging in an exterior HD, as the iPad isn't capable of pulling iTunes files from an external drive. Is that correct? And is there a way around the problem?

So, to be clear: retina on macbook 15" display is too small, but retina on a 7.9" display is a requirement? It sometimes seems like you just make complaints up, Larry.

I NEVER said retina on Macbook 15" is too small. Quite the opposite - it's the easiest Macbook screen for me to read (smoother lines, better contrast).

My problem with the mini screen is the small text when I used Safari is grainy with less contrast, which makes it more blurry to me. That same size text on my retina iPad screen is sharper and easier to read.

So I just purchased my first iPad. I bought a used 1st gen, as I'm planning on using it exclusively with my Cambridge iD100, for music playback. Got it real cheap and thought the large screen might be easier to read and navigate. Is there a way to increase the storage (64 gb) for my iTunes library? I've heard it's not as easy as plugging in an exterior HD, as the iPad isn't capable of pulling iTunes files from an external drive. Is that correct? And is there a way around the problem?

As Grawk said, you can use iTunes home sharing to access your music, and it can stream in lossless. They also make wifi external HD's for iPads. One is the GoFlex satellite. MotionMedia also makes the G-connect wifi external HD for iPad.

Oh, you can also use apps like TwonkyServer or an NAS, and use PS Audio eLyric to play the music on your iPad or redirect it to another player like the PWD Bridge or Xbox 360. If you don't want to invest in an NAS and don't want to leave a computer running 24/7 with TwonkyServer, the LaCie LaPlug will convert any USB hard drive into an NAS with music server (that works with Bridge and with iTunes as shared library).

StreamToMe for iPad/iPhone will let you stream music from your computer without needing to have iTunes open, if you run the ServeToMe app on the computer, and it works over 3G when you are not at home.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

And just to be clear, the music would reside on the NAS or on storage connected to the computer that is running twonky server, and the PS Audio eLyric app would run on the iPad to control playback from server to iPad, where you connect iPad to the digital dock.

ServeToMe would run on Mac or PC where the music resides, and the StreamToMe app runs on the iPad for controlling the music playback. Stream to me is the cheaper option, and you can use it over 3G, but I don't know if it's bit perfect like eLyric.

To access the StreamToMe music over 3G I think you have to know your external IP address, and set your router to allow access to the service. Inside your home there is a list of local servers, and you can also set up a manual server address to access the home from the outside (IP and port). You can select what folders ServeToMe will share, and your iTunes playlists are available as well. AND, it plays FLAC and ALAC, WAV, AAC, MP3. Some of my AIFF plays, but I had a hi-res one that didn't play while the others on the same album did.

It also lets you stream movies, and not just your music. If the movie is DRM iTunes protected it will offer to load the movie in safari using quicktime, asking for your StreamToMe user name and password to log in via browser.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict