Apple Tablet

^

Wait, you bought the fully decked out iPad Air when you already had an iPad 4 with LTE? Why not just get a macbook pro at that point?

because he wanted a faster, lighter tablet, not a laptop?

It's the same expensive the 4 was, and is faster. The MacBook Pro is significantly more expensive, heavier, and serves a different purpose. Your criticism might be valid if he bought a surface pro.

That's exactly my reasoning.  My iPad 4 LTE in a case weighed about 1 lb 15 oz, and now I've shed over half a pound with my Air in a lightweight 3rd party case, which is pretty noticeable when reading one handed.  I have a 2012 Macbook Pro Retina that I use as a desktop replacement, but it's not nearly as portable as a Macbook Air or iPad to carry around "everywhere".  The Macbook is nice for longer trips where we bring it along and share it, but we leave it in the hotel room (or at home).  

Also, the new A7 processor's power will come in handy later on, when bloatware becomes the norm and everyone with an older iPad starts to complain that they are too slow to run the newest software.

After giving my iPad mini to my wife last week I've really missed the small pocketable size for using while I'm running errands.  My wife appreciated my gesture to give her my mini, so she is letting me replace it with a new retina mini, which has an ETA between 11/26 & 12/4.  She doesn't really care about the screen, because she uses reading glasses full-time and it won't help her give them up by going bigger or sharper, etc.  I can still get by without glasses for now, but when the mini is mounted on the dashboard to use the GPS it's too small to read the street names and the 9.7" iPad is much better.  

In the end I'll have simply moved from iPad 4 + iPad mini > to the Air + mini retina.  iPads and iPhones have decent resale value, so the upgrade isn't as expensive as if I were hoarding all our old gear rather than selling it.  I've had every iPad that's come out on day one, since the beginning, because it's fun. And my wife who doesn't care about upgrades is always happy upgrading to my old model.  But in all honesty, I was not unhappy at all with the combo of iPad 4 + iPad mini, using each for different occasions.  I probably could return the Air and keep the 4, if the mini retina is as sharp as i hope it will be, but I'll likely keep it.

So for anyone who has an iPad and plays battlefield 4, download the battlefield app for iOS. I have to say, I'm seriously impressed. It's my first real experience with a "second screen" app and man oh man is it cool to have the iPad displaying the real-time map while you are playing battlefield.

I also dl'ed the some of the Comcast apps. I hate Comcast as much as the next man, but their apps are pretty damn cool. The TV guide app works great, and the Live TV app is nice too, though the live-tv channel selection is pretty limited right now.

All in all, there are some very cool apps out there. I didn't think there was anything to the "second screen" movement until I tried it for myself. Now I'm hooked.

• 4 months later...

MS Office apps launched on iPad today.

Holy fucking shit, MS did something right. The apps can open the docs we work on at the office and it gets the formatting right on the iPad. I already deleted pages, numbers and keynote.

Amazing job, MS.

http://blogs.office.com/2014/03/27/announcing-the-office-you-love-now-on-the-ipad/

Edited by TMoney

By Microsoft standards that is a big win. Not sure the Excel interface is very tablet-friendly for advanced use (at least from the video), but would love to play in Word and even my archenemy PPT. See conflicting prices of $69-100 a year, which of course places it $69-100 a year more (if you bought an iOS device recently) than Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

A port of the desktop office it is not, but I've got to say I'm impressed by the apps. The Word app seems like it will do well in my document review/edit-check heavy workflows.

I wasn't counting on, nor would I want to ditch a laptop/desktop for document creation. I wanted Word for iPad to take a more complimentary role and it certainly seems like it is up to the task. On the spreadsheet front I still couldn't imagine ever working in excel without a keyboard and mouse, but its nice to be able to review spreadsheets and models on my iPad as well. I'm not a powerpoint user so I can't really comment on that one.

The OneDrive (the artist formerly known as SkyDrive) integration works wonderfully.

I think the Ars review title sums it up in a nutshell:

"People who already use Office will love Office for iPad"

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/mini-review-people-who-already-use-office-will-love-office-for-ipad/

Edited by TMoney