HD800 Amp Upgrade (WA6 or B22)

liwei

Hey all, sorry to add yet another HD800 amp thread but I'm really on the fence on what amp I should try next for my rig.

My current setup is:

Northstar M192 MK1 -> Gilmore Lite + DPS -> HD800

I'm currently interested in either getting a used Wooaudio 6 with the power supply upgrade and sophia tube or grabbing a 3 channel B22 kit from glass jar audio. Let's set a budget of around 800 for other suggestions.

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've not heard the HD800, but I have heard the WA6 and β22.

I think both are great amps. I do find the β22 to be the more neutral of the two, so from what your wants are you may like the Woo better. It would be optimal to try both before buying of coarse.

I just wanted to point out what is probably the obvious: that the B22 from Glass Jar Audio is a kit with no case included. From what I hear, the B22 can end up costing a lot more than $800 after finished, but I may be mistaken. Also, it will take a lot of time to complete even if you have a lot of experience with DIY (from what I have heard).

• 1 month later...
Hey all, sorry to add yet another HD800 amp thread but I'm really on the fence on what amp I should try next for my rig.

My current setup is:

Northstar M192 MK1 -> Gilmore Lite + DPS -> HD800

I'm currently interested in either getting a used Wooaudio 6 with the power supply upgrade and sophia tube or grabbing a 3 channel B22 kit from glass jar audio. Let's set a budget of around 800 for other suggestions.

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you are talking about the senn HD-800 headphones and the Woo WA6 with the power upgrade I can tell you its a very good match.

Also you may want to check out what folks are saying about the SP 274B and the WA6.

ss

If you are talking about the senn HD-800 headphones and the Woo WA6 with the power upgrade I can tell you its a very good match.

Also you may want to check out what folks are saying about the SP 274B and the WA6.

ss

Sally, you need to give it a rest with all this SP 274B stuff. If an amp is transformed by the rectifier in place it has some pretty big issues. The Woo is built well so I know it doesn't have those issues. And yes, I've rolled all sorts of rectifiers and damned if I can hear a difference outside the normal day to day fluctuations we all undergo.

Sally, you need to give it a rest with all this SP 274B stuff. If an amp is transformed by the rectifier in place it has some pretty big issues. The Woo is built well so I know it doesn't have those issues. And yes, I've rolled all sorts of rectifiers and damned if I can hear a difference outside the normal day to day fluctuations we all undergo.

I concur - my experience with rectifiers on the moth was basically those $400 metal base thingies sounded exactly the same as my low end mullard rebrand.

I concur - my experience with rectifiers on the moth was basically those $400 metal base thingies sounded exactly the same as my low end mullard rebrand.

That's because you guys aren't using the correct, garden hose-sized power cable. :angel:

I am sure you are right, and I was just talking from personal experience and what I have read about the SP 274B that is used with the Woo WA6/SE along with other rectifiers.

I also would like to apologize, if it seemed to you that I was saying that the rectifier would transform a headphone amp. However imo the right tube can help bring out the best in a headphone tube amp, even in a Woo that is built well. And I do love my Woo. :)

So I will bow to your expertise and as you say"give it a rest".

Respectfully,

ss

Woo makes some cool stuff, but this whole "maxxed" business is just crazy expensive. A "maxxed" 6 SE is like $2k. Why the HELL would I get that over a Zana or even WA22? I can almost get myself a GSX or even a KGSS if I were so inclined.

You probably wouldn't, but I'm sure the fact that a Woo amp (I can't speak for Craig) has a much more reasonable lead time is a leading factor in the decision. Of course I'm not sure I'm sold on all of Woo's upgrade packages, but that's another thread.

Woo makes some cool stuff, but this whole "maxxed" business is just crazy expensive. A "maxxed" 6 SE is like $2k. Why the HELL would I get that over a Zana or even WA22? I can almost get myself a GSX or even a KGSS if I were so inclined.

You would be better off getting a WA22, if you are running a balanced source player.

In my case I am not. I use my amp for mostly Blu Ray films, but I do have many SACD/CDs. So for now I am using a Oppo BDP-83 as my source player. My choices are R/L rca or optical/coaxial out. Now if you said a Woo WA5-LE with maybe the tube upgrades, may have been a better choice. But then you have a cost of over $3000.

ss