Vibram Five Fingers

matt fury

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hey man, that's the point of the shoes - barefoot without the misery!

Status update: Treks are nicely broken in, and I'm much happier now than I was at arrival. The rubber "sole" is narrower at points, which I think puts more of the bottom of my foot in contact with the ground at times, which I think contributes to "cold feet." Still very happy, but interested to see how they do in heat, and also how KSOs would feel now in comparison (especially sensitivity-wise) (maybe no different really?)

I was going to buy some Treks, but after trying them on at a local shop, I prefer the KSOs (and will be buying a second pair). I think the Treks are just a bit too far from the "barefoot" angle the FFs are about - sole not quite as flexible or sensitive and foot higher off the ground (because of the threads). That said, I didn't enjoy hiking on sharp rocks, etc. with the KSOs recently so definitely could see the Treks better for that use (and likely designed for).

Yeah, they were definitely designed for hiking. I haven't done any long concrete trekking in them yet, but if they relieve the concrete "soreness" I mentioned earlier I think it will be worth the trade-off.

Shit, now you make me wanna run out and get a pair of KSOs again...and they finally sell them locally...

I'm interested in trying them out, but I most likely won't wear them as everyday footwear. If I do end up getting them, I'll probably just wear them when I'm in the gym. So my question is: am I cancelling the benefits of these if I don't wear them on a consistent basis?

I only run in my KSO's -- rest of the time I just wear normal shoes. I can definitely say that it makes a difference (for me) even though it's not all the time. I used to get a lot of pain in my Achilles tendon, and don't anymore. Also, just wearing them some of the time has changed my stride, and my awareness of how I walk and stand.

Of course, it has also made me more aware of how uncomfortable my regular shoes are a lot of the time. I wish I could wear them more of the time but I don't think the split toes would feel comfortable for an all-day kind of thing. There's another company called "Terra Plana" that does barefoot-style shoes that don't split out the toes that I'm considering trying out for when I'm at work. (Once my bank account recovers from the holidays and the new JH13s, that is.)

I only run in my KSO's -- rest of the time I just wear normal shoes. I can definitely say that it makes a difference (for me) even though it's not all the time. I used to get a lot of pain in my Achilles tendon, and don't anymore. Also, just wearing them some of the time has changed my stride, and my awareness of how I walk and stand.

Thanks. Do you run indoors (i.e, on treadmills) or outdoors? I can't really run outside right now, because it's too cold in Chicago, so the only running I can do is on the treadmill. Also, do you lift weights with them?

Thanks. Do you run indoors (i.e, on treadmills) or outdoors? I can't really run outside right now, because it's too cold in Chicago, so the only running I can do is on the treadmill. Also, do you lift weights with them?

Outside on pavement or concrete (or dirt/gravel at the side of the road sometimes, but no major trailrunning.)

I haven't lifted weights in them, but I can tell you that they don't slip and slide that I've seen (if that's your concern.)

Outside on pavement or concrete (or dirt/gravel at the side of the road sometimes, but no major trailrunning.)

I haven't lifted weights in them, but I can tell you that they don't slip and slide that I've seen (if that's your concern.)

Thanks, I'll go to their store in Chicago this weekend to check them out. Aside from the alleged biomechnical benefits, I think they'd be really convenient for me, since I can just carry them in my backpack, instead of having to take my Nikes with me to the gym and then change out of my winter boots.

Whether you'll get any degree of benefit from these totally depends on your foot.

If you have a foot shaped like the one the used to model them, you'll be fine. But if you have any acquired deformities, like flatfoot, and consequent forefoot varus or vagus, despite the fact that the shoe will 'fit' on the foot, it will be working against the flow of things and creating an unnecessary impediment.

You could say that about any shoe, however because the toes are locked into a specific position in the sole with these, it's much more of an issue. I'd say that unless the forefoot/toe relationship is basically straight, you'll have issues (pain).

My feet are too messed up to get good use out of these.

I bought the KSO model on Monday and tried them in the gym today. No running, just lifted some weights and some moderate stationary cycle with them. So far, no discomfort or pain. In fact, I find that I got used to the sensation of wearing them really quickly. Tomorrow I'll wear them on my run and see how they feel then.

If you have a foot shaped like the one the used to model them, you'll be fine. But if you have any acquired deformities, like flatfoot, and consequent forefoot varus or vagus, despite the fact that the shoe will 'fit' on the foot, it will be working against the flow of things and creating an unnecessary impediment.
As I mentioned above, I have flat feet. Have worn supplementary arch supports (cast when younger, generic more recently) nearly all my life. Figured I'd give these a try. At worst I'd have expensive slippers. At best everyday "sneakers" (not a runner). Wasn't sure which way it was going when my hamstrings, back, neck and shoulders hurt the first few days (ignoring directions and wearing all day). Anyway, my posture and stride has changed and although there are foot/toe types they warn against use with, flat feet isn't on that list. If my experience is at all representative, I wouldn't add it. I know it's gonna sound fanatical, but f*%k it, I think my legs and lower back are stronger now. Coupled with the posture change, I think that's why my feet hurt less.

I finally got my Treks in today and am liking them. Not as unflexible as I would have thought. They need to break in, but I like the extra solid feel.

I like the upcoming Bikila's a lot. Definitely going to get a pair of them. The treads and lighter look/feel is really interesting to me.

Vibram Five Fingers Fans - Birthday Shoes - More on the Vibram Five Fingers Bikila (2010 Catalog Photos)

There also is a shoe lace variant called Speeds which are only Euro market atm. I don't like the look of those as much. I would never give up velcro for laces ;p Then again I'm not a runner.

For Matt Furry:

http://barefootrunningshoes.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/FiveFingers-Performa-Jane.bmp

Thanks for the heads-up, DanC, I'm flattered.

I'd buy a pair of Speeds. I don't like the look - I figured they would've went with a thinner, black lace -but I can think of a couple of possible benefits. If nothing else, it'd be worth it for the extra-amazed WTFs.

It's been raining massively here all week, and I've been wearing my Treks. I like the traction I get (compared to my entirely tractionless-when-wet sneakers), but the wet-ground seems to cause my feet to instantly be freezing cold.

So far, I really like my KSOs. Still haven't run outside with them because it is too cold in Chicago. Even running indoors, I can feel myself slightly adjusting my gait, but fortunately I haven't felt soreness or aching in my feet/calves. The convenience factor is also very nice, since I can just throw them in my bag and barely take up any space. I definitely don't regret this purchase.

• 1 month later...

Vibram FiveFingers KSO Multisport Shoes - Men's at REI.com

Best KSO look yet imo.

New Bikila colors too.. man the grey/red/black is giving the grey/green a strong run for its money. The teal is a little crazy nike colorsish but I don't completely hate it either.

Vibram Five Fingers Bikila Barefoot Running Shoe Coming in March or April (New model)

• 2 weeks later...

As an alternative, has anyone checked out Terra Nova's Evo shoe? Vivo Barefoot Evo Running Shoe: Initial Review and First Impressions

EVO | Terra Plana

I wear a pair of Terra Nova Aquas but they're too heavy to run in. These look much more suitable. I'll wait until these go on sale before I grab a pair.

I've bought a pair of Feelmax Osmas and they're similar to their other shoes except with a slightly more durable sole and sporty styling. A good and cheaper alternative.

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving this thread because I picked up two pair of the Five Fingers yesterday, the Classic and the Performa Jane, both in black, after trying them on and loving them. I went to the gym today in the Classics and found that they really helped me do things I wasn't doing well at all, like balancing on the bosu (or whatever it's called) ball while trying to do squats and shoulder presses. My feet could just grab on. I couldn't do that in my regular shoes. On the not-so-good front, I also whacked my little toe climbing off the exercise bike, and that whole "just like being barefoot" thing was evident and not fun. I'm still not sure about wearing these out in public, and I think I probably should have gone one size larger (they're tight), but overall am glad I got them.