Testing, and Hi!

IctusBrucks

Hello,

First off let me say I'm new around here. I've been reading on Head-fi.org for a while and even registered a week ago, but I've never been able to post on those forums, my posts and PMs dissapear into the ether. So I'm just out of luck there :cool:

I thought I'd come here and give these forums a try and see if I can actually post here :D

Long time speaker lover, recent addition to the headphone club. The recent addition of a baby to the family has inspired me to change listening habits (no more thumping music when I get home from work, boo!), so going to headphones makes alot of sense. I like it, the hobby feels like new again for me.

Currently I have:

PC > DAC1 USB > Woo Audio 3+ > Beyerdynamic DT990

I also connect my Arcam A65 > B&W 602 speakers off of the DAC but I do not listen to them nearly as much these days :)

Soon the WA3+ will be replaced by a WA22 and then I will be moving the WA3+ to my office.

I'm not totally happy with the DT990 phones so I will be auditioning some Grados soon.

Anyways, hope this post works!

At first I loved the DT990's, but after lots of listening I just find them fatiguing with bloated mid-bass. It sounds like I am hearing some resonance between the 125-250hz range that is tiring out my ears and making male vocals sound muddy.

For electronic music they sound amazing to me. Classical sounds somewhat muddy, as does most rock. The highs and lows are fantastic, but somethings missing from the mids.

When I pull the phones about 1/2" away from my ear they sound dramatically better, so I think something about the design of the enclosure with my particular ear/head shape that is causing an issue.

FWIW the Velour pads do sound better than the leather ones IMO. Helped resolve the issue partly but not entirely.

I really will miss the look of the 990 though... I got the carbon fiber ones from Moon Audio and they are IMO the most beautiful pair of phones ever made :D I have some cool pics to post later....

We've been around since February of 2006. FYI Grados are going to sound very different than your Beyer 990s so be prepared for that.

welcome to head-case! :)

Thanks!

I've done a bit of reading so far and I'm liking it. Seems more laid back, people don't seem to get up-in-arms just because something negative was said about their favorite brand :)

Say anything bad about old school AKGs and I'll fucking murder you in your sleep. :)

Oh, and welcome to Head-Case.