Best and most affordable way to sound proof a wall

Icarium

So I am thinking about replacing my roomate, but the main reason that I haven't is because the volume of my snoring is turned up to 11. I've been told not only can it be heard through the wall but through the floor as well to downstairs and that's a hard thing to see if a potential roomate can handle without doing a trial run which is really f'ing awkward to arrange.

My snoring aside.. you can hear everything through the wall including talking normal volume on the phone.

So I want to sound proof it up. What's the best way to do it? I'd prefer to only do it on my side if possible since I'm not sure I want to invest money into making it cosmetically appealing especially if that takes away from the reversibility of it... still those are negotiable and priority #1 is effective sound proofing.

Any suggestions?

I think it's easier, healthier and more affordable controlling your snoring. Plus if it's got worse lately and you may be suffering from sleep apnea episodes.

Oh I most assuredly have sleep apnea. I am grossly overweight for my height (247~ at 5'7 5'8) but more over my dad exhibits the snore pattern of sleep apnea and he's very fit.

I need to go to a sleep clinic to get it diagnosed but... staying over night is such a hassle I've avoided it. I may look into it next month. Esp to deal with this roomate thing..

but snoring is just one of the main issues.. the walls are so thin we can hear each other talking on the phone at like normal speaking volume even when we arent right up against the wall. I can't imagine bringing a girl home or vice versa ;p The other party would be able to hear everything basically.

First things first, look after yourself, go to that sleep clinic and try to lose some weight :D Maybe that won't help you snoring, but will be good for your health.

Those thin walls are an issue anyway. Would you need to soundproof the whole room or just the wall between you and your roommate's? Having a whole room acoustically isolated is going to be expensive :palm:

Effective sound proofing is difficult. You could line your room with sound absorbent material, but that is a very imperfect solution. You might also try erecting a false wall (does not have to be structurally strong) in front of the neighboring wall about two to six inches away and filling the gap loosely with fibreglass. That too is imperfect, but that is the type of construction needed to soundproof rooms. Seal all the gaps around the false wall with putty, etc.

Tough to do and good luck.

For a minimalist approach which will help with your decorating aesthetics try area rugs, I don't recall what you mentioned what your current floor treatment was but the more you have on the floor the better the sound absorption. Then go to your local fabric store and pick up fabric and one inch thick batting. You then staple the fabric over the one inch batting on the wall maybe trim it with chair rails. This will serve as a decorating feature with noise management as a side benefit. If you don't have good decorating skills find a friend who does because if you pick out the wrong fabric you will wind up living in a quiet bordello looking place.

Strips sucked for me. Greasy nose. (go ahead ladies, line up)

Strips are no match for my snoring at all. The strips ran away and cowered in the corner.

If snoring were an Olympic event I'd easily break Michael Phelps' record for most Gold medals.