Squeezebox Touch

jinp6301

I guess that you can't take the compy out since it's always been the case that you had to be running the slim server software in order to manage the library contents. I can't imagine that going away with the release of one specific product.
True enough, though they saw an advantage of running internet radio from the player, not Slim Server on the computer, previously. We'll see, but I wonder the rational for having a USB connector for Flash drives on the player when the computer running Slim Server most certainly has one. Sure there are exception situations like the few NAS drives supported, remaining mobile with laptop without drive attached, etc. but I wonder if that justifies the connector at this point and not previously? I'd guess something has changed for them to put it there, though who knows if it's this use? And they've previously had ports for "future use."

Guess it all comes down to what "Access your music and photos directly from USB drives and SD cards" and "USB host connector for accessing music and photos via USB drive or USB key" means.

Does anyone know if any of the already existing Squeezboxes (or similar products) can do this (work as a standalone system without a pc needing to be on at the same time).

Thanks

As mentioned above certain NAS drives, but in those cases Slim Server is running on the drive, not a conventional computer. The player is still not reading directly off a storage device. Otherwise just internet radio streaming from the player.

Still a little cryptic, so I've asked on their forum, but other comments may hint ...

The Touch will run what is being called TinySC, which is a stripped down version of SC. Specifically, TinySC has no web server (regular SC includes an httpd to serve up the web ui) and no transcoding capabilities (so if you want to play WMA Lossless you need Regular Strength SC). Both of these are fairly processor-intensive tasks.

I can play the songs from the USB drive plugged in Touch on other Squeezeboxes. I am doing that now with only a Touch, Wifi router, Boom, and USB drive. No PC anywhere to be seen.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by blessingx

Sorry for asking a very basic question, but does the new USB connector and TinySC discussion then mean that the ST can run computerless (after setup) and pull directly off an attached USB HD?

Originally Posted by Lanctot

Yes.

I've just got a new game plan. ;)

The Logitech Squeezebox Touch Wi-Fi music player is expected to be available in the U.S. and Europe beginning in December for a suggested retail price of $299.99 (U.S.)... The Logitech Squeezebox Touch Wall-Mount Bracket is expected to be available in the U.S. and Europe beginning in December for a suggested retail price of $99.99 (U.S.).

Seems a little late for the holiday season.

EDIT: Ah blubliss is quick.

When I first got an SB3, I did think it was odd that that there were no buttons. You couldn't make it do anything without the remote. So, OK. Touchscreen = good. 24/96 = very good. USB attached storage = good, I guess. And they didn't jack the price through the roof. So I'm in.

What's up with a hundred bucks for the wall bracket, though? What the heck can a wall bracket for a one-pound device do that's worth $100?

Hey j4cbo, could you tell us briefly what is lost by running TinySC only instead of the full-blown SC? I've seen no plugins and web ui, but don't know the extent of sacrifices for its small code-base.

Also is the library scanning process similar to SC for a connected HD and TinySC? Rescan entire library or search for new files (which often created dupes in SC in my experience)?

Also is the library scanning process similar to SC for a connected HD and TinySC? Rescan entire library or search for new files (which often created dupes in SC in my experience)?

I always hated that. And more often than not the dupes could be traced to playlist files, erasing those often seemed to cure the dupe issue although did require a complete library rescan.

Hi there,

Are you able to test whether a 2.5" portable usb drive works with this unit?

Im a little worried if the squeezebox can power the drive.

I haven't tried any self-powered drives (since I don't have any), but I'd be very surprised if there were problems. The designers mentioned at one point that the Touch is designed to be able to supply a bit more than the spec requires if necessary, just in case someone connects a drive which tries to draw too much.

Does anyone here know if the ST will play FLAC files directly off a USB harddrive w/o a computer too? I know it works with a USB HD directly plugged into it but not sure if that only applies to mp3 files.

FLAC works fine.

In the "old days" (SLIMP3 and the oldest Squeezebox), the players could only handle a few formats themselves - SLIMP3 only did MP3, and the first Squeezebox handled WAV and MP3. Nowadays, though, all the players can decode more or less anything onboard. I believe the list for the Touch is MP3, FLAC, OGG Vorbis, WMA, AAC, and WAV/AIFF.

TinySC doesn't support transcoding, so a format not on that list won't work unless you're running a separate server, but enough is supported directly that it probably won't be an issue.

Hey j4cbo, could you tell us briefly what is lost by running TinySC only instead of the full-blown SC? I've seen no plugins and web ui, but don't know the extent of sacrifices for its small code-base.

TinySC isn't a rewrite or a separate codebase; it's just the full SqueezeCenter with a bunch of things disabled / removed to keep the memory footprint down. So the only things that are 'lost' are what's been explicitly mentioned. If you feel like hacking around with the device, you can turn some of those features back on (plugins are pretty easy to re-enable; they just won't be supported officially). Months ago I had an early build which hadn't had the Web interface removed yet, and it was the most glacial interface I had ever seen, so don't hold your breath for that one. :P

For scanning nuances, music services, SB2-and-later device support, synchronization, etc., etc., etc., TinySC should be equivalent to the real thing.

The rescan process is, sadly, pretty much the same at the moment. They're worrying on improving new file detection in order to better deal with removable hard drives, so who knows where it'll be by release.